Dairy Free Milk

Options
I have been advised to give up dairy. I am pretty sure I can give up yoghurt for a while (although I love it) and I don't each much cheese anyway, but where I am really going to struggle is using milk in my cups of tea. I would have 6-7 cups of tea a day, always with a bit of milk. And it's winter her in Australia, so I love my hot drinks even more - they keep me warm and full!

Does anyone know of any milk alternative that tastes OK in tea? I have tried almond milk and that was yuck! Is the powdered stuff dairy free?

Replies

• Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, the powdered stuff is dairy free. :)
    Have you tried coconut milk? It also comes in a sweeter vanilla flavor that may go well in tea.
    I've also used regular non-dairy coffee creamer in tea with great success... :)
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I make my own nut milk in the blender using raw walnuts and raw almonds. Soak nuts overnight in the refrigerator. Blend well with water (I use 2:1 ratio nuts:water). If that is still too bland for the tea, I will stir in a bit of coconut oil to add a little healthy fat into my hot tea to add a little more oomph.

I found all of the store-bought stuff to have a wicked awful aftertaste in hot beverages. It's pretty brutal.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have been advised to give up dairy. I am pretty sure I can give up yoghurt for a while (although I love it) and I don't each much cheese anyway, but where I am really going to struggle is using milk in my cups of tea. I would have 6-7 cups of tea a day, always with a bit of milk. And it's winter her in Australia, so I love my hot drinks even more - they keep me warm and full!

Does anyone know of any milk alternative that tastes OK in tea? I have tried almond milk and that was yuck! Is the powdered stuff dairy free?

It would be good to know who gave you the advice and why they want you to give up dairy.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I gave up dairy due to lactose intolerance and switched to almond milk, CHOCOLATE almond milk (WOW!), and coconut milk. I know you didn't like almond milk but wanted you to know there are different flavors if that helps (vanilla, chocolate, etc.). Coconut milk is amazing and worth a try if you've never had it.
  • occsunray
    occsunray Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've also used regular non-dairy coffee creamer in tea with great success... :)

Not for sure why you have been asked to give up dairy, but FYI "non-dairy" coffee creamer isn't non-dairy. It is Lactose-free, but still has dairy in it. Found that out the hard way while I was breastfeeding my son who had a dairy allergy.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk, love the stuff. also rice milk is okay. not a fan of soya myself as it makes tea and coffee taste funny.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Use human milk. I'm sure someone around you have some
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

It would be good to know who gave you the advice and why they want you to give up dairy.

It was a naturopath/nutritionist who gave me the advice....partly due to a few digestive issues, partly due to eczema, partly due to wanting to lose about 4kgs. Personally I'm not necessarily convinced, but what I'm doing now is not working in any of those departments, so I'm willing to give it a go for a few weeks and see what happens. I don't think I could sustain it forever but who knows....maybe I'll get good results and find out I can! I'm just going to try it and see.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I make my own nut milk in the blender using raw walnuts and raw almonds. Soak nuts overnight in the refrigerator. Blend well with water (I use 2:1 ratio nuts:water). If that is still too bland for the tea, I will stir in a bit of coconut oil to add a little healthy fat into my hot tea to add a little more oomph.

I found all of the store-bought stuff to have a wicked awful aftertaste in hot beverages. It's pretty brutal.
    [/quote

Best advice yet. I make almond milk all of the time, and you can change it's consistency.
    Yes, "non-dairy" powdered or liquid does have milk in it! Try using coconut creamer. Or coconut milk (canned is good)
    I personally like the soy vanilla creamer. But in tea, probably not. Good luck!
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    This is why I gave up dairy- excema. Horrible stuff! And, presto! No more flares! =)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

It was a naturopath/nutritionist who gave me the advice....partly due to a few digestive issues, partly due to eczema, partly due to wanting to lose about 4kgs. Personally I'm not necessarily convinced, but what I'm doing now is not working in any of those departments, so I'm willing to give it a go for a few weeks and see what happens. I don't think I could sustain it forever but who knows....maybe I'll get good results and find out I can! I'm just going to try it and see.

I'm not convinced either. Give it up if you really want to but it doesn't sound like you really want to.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I started using almond milk a couple of months ago. It's a good alternative IMO. Just get the 'original' kind not the 'vanilla' and it's lower in carbs than regular milk.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Naturopath/nutritionist has all my alarm bells ringing. :ohwell:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Naturopath/nutritionist has all my alarm bells ringing. :ohwell:

They're wack jobs and not to be taken seriously. No actual education. You might as well go to a priest or witch doctor for medical advice.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

So no actual testing to see if you are lactose intolerant or have a milk allergy?

I would suggest talking to a medical doctor about your issues (digestive issues, eczema, and weight loss). Eliminating dairy is not necessary for weight loss (dairy products can help with weight loss). The reason I ask is if you have a milk allergy you have a completely different list of foods to avoid then lactose intolerance. I would talk to a doctor before eliminating an entire category of food packed full of nutritional goodness based on a recommendation from someone who has done no medical tests on you.

Eczema can have a variety of causes as can digestive issues (including eating too fast, not getting enough fiber, etc). I would suggest that you make a doctor's appointment and keep a detailed food diary including tracking when you have eczema flare ups or digestive problems. This could be helpful for your doctor.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    almond and coconut milk is amazing :)