clothes and losing weight

Options
I don't know if it is because I was evenly fat, not just all in one area, well my stomach a little more, yes, but I have yet to go down in pant size or top size. I have lost close to 70 pounds, and have been using my personal trainer and doing toning exercises with cardio and strength training, but I am a little irked. Before you think anything, no, I wasn't that fat girl with the huge muffin top because I was wearing clothes too small. Granted, it is saving me money from buying new clothes as I did have to invest in a belt, but I feel like people are noticing the weight loss now but nothing? I have lost inches as I do get measured monthly. Anyone else have this problem? I probably already know that it is because of my body type, but I feel like I hear people losing weight and dress sizes, but I have not.

Replies

• ApronMom
    ApronMom Posts: 16
    Options
    I've fluctuated between 40 lbs. and could still wear the same size, I think so many clothes are made with stretchable fabrics that they just expand with us as we gain and contract as we lose. I'll bet if you went into a store and tried on clothes a size smaller than you're wearing they'd fit you great. BTW I am impressed with your weight loss, you should be super proud of that!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    70 does seem like a lot to go down without needing new sizes but there can be quite a gap between sizes in the double digits. I worked for Lane Bryant for nearly a decade and I wore the same 14/16 tops when I was 170 and 220. Now at 170 they were loose and 220 they were tight but there were several I could get away with. I always wore single size jeans so there was less wiggle room there between the lbs. I can say from years of working with plus size clothing that the higher you go on the size chart the larger the gap gets between the sizes. Its nice when you are going up on the scale because you feel less size shock but not so nice when you are going down. Stay strong, there will come a point where you will need new clothes every few weeks.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    70 does seem like a lot to go down without needing new sizes but there can be quite a gap between sizes in the double digits. I worked for Lane Bryant for nearly a decade and I wore the same 14/16 tops when I was 170 and 220. Now at 170 they were loose and 220 they were tight but there were several I could get away with. I always wore single size jeans so there was less wiggle room there between the lbs. I can say from years of working with plus size clothing that the higher you go on the size chart the larger the gap gets between the sizes. Its nice when you are going up on the scale because you feel less size shock but not so nice when you are going down. Stay strong, there will come a point where you will need new clothes every few weeks.
    They are loose enough that I have invested in a belt.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Good! I bet you're not short is part of it. Also, I'd say that part of it is that you were not wearing your clothes too small. Which, in my humble opinion is good. My friend always wears her clothes loose and even 40 lbs (she's 5' 10') is not apparent if you're not really paying attention--because she's still in the same clothes which are just looser. She'd replace her professional clothes a bit sooner than her casual ones--but after all, loose is good.

Years ago (yeah, I been at this a while--started about 200 after children, got down to 160 for several years, then up a bit and down--sure want right now to get from the 170 where I am to 140-150 and stay there for life--but figure I'll still be here to maintain) I was in a weight loss group with this large woman and she wore all stretchy clothes, no jeans or woven tops. Her clothes were all too tight and I always thought she'd look better if they were a bit looser. She lost quite a bit of weight and her clothes were just starting to look nice and she went and bought new ones, just as tight as could be! Oh, well.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That seems totally crazy that you could lose that much weight without going down in size yet. I would imagine that would seem frustrating! Hope you get to buy some new clothes soon. :) Great job with the weight loss; 70 lbs is fantastic!