Have you had success losing weight while on birth control?

Options
I've heard a lot of horror stories about attempting to lose weight while on hormonal birth control. I'm on Trinessa myself, and it's too early to determine how it affects my weight loss because I only recently started to try to lose weight. For those of you on birth control, how has it affected you (if at all)?

Replies

• Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have no issues. Losing weight fine and I have the mirena in.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have no issues. Losing weight fine and I have the mirena in.

I also have the Mirena and have had no issues. I never had issues on Ortho Tricyclen years ago either.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've been on a number of different birth control pills to manage my cycle and have lost 125+ pounds in that time. Just stick to your logging and you should be fine.
  • ccm1912
    ccm1912 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control for 5+ years and never gained weight nor had issues losing weight while on it (daily pill).
  • lauracaliolo
    Options
    i'm on ortho tri-cyclen and i haven't had issues
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm on birthcontrol and other meds that are said to have weight gain as a side effect and I'm still losing
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight while on BCP, never had any issue. I quit taking it this past March, only because I decided to quit afffording it. It was an unnecessary expense.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Yes, my first year of college.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Maybe!?!? I had the implanon birth control device implanted in my arm about 8 months ago and gained a little weight. Could've been psychological, but I know it is very hard for me to lose weight now.
  • alexagia
    alexagia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I take the three month kind. I do get the munchies but I have lost 4-5 since being on it. All you need is self control.
  • ohnosquids
    Options
    I take Tri Sprintec and have just started again (after a 3 year gain session, yeesh). I feel like the birth control pill has put on a lot since I have never been this heavy in my life, but if I can shave it down with diet and exercise I have no problem shifting the blame to myself!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I actually just started BCP on Monday - so far, it's suppressing my appetite big time, which my doctor warned me about.

I did talk to her about my health goals and told her I'd like to avoid birth control that has a side effect of weight gain. I'm on Yaz.

I think it's something that varies a lot person to person and pill to pill. Have you discussed your weight loss plan/concerns with your gynecologist?
  • xSarabean
    xSarabean Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes, I did discuss my plans with my doctor. I was originally on the Depo shot, and I discussed my weight loss plans. My OB/GYN switched me to Trinessa (the generic of Ortho Tri Cyclen).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight while on Depo Provera shots and didn't gain or lose in about 2 yrs of using Ortho Tricyclen Lo.

However, I think hormonal birth control is mad scary and insufficiently tested, so there's that.
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    yes I have lost weight while on the shot
  • takeitsleazybraj
    Options
    I had a Mirena IUD and it fell out after a few months. I definitely don't want to go through that again! Currently on Yaz. I've gained 30 pounds since August 2013 which is the month I had my IUD put in, but I had other contributing factors. Whatever hormonal challenges I have from BCPs, I know that at the end of the day it's still going to be calories in, calories out. BCP might have encouraged me to eat 2+ candy bars in one sitting, but I know I had a choice in the matter!
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Lost weight on Sprintec. Sprintec has been so beneficial to me that I don't know if I could live without it.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I take birth control pills and haven't been having any problems. Should be fine! :)
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    To be honest something will only affect your weight loss if you're looking for an excuse/reason for it to. In other words if you believe it will, it will. I've had no issue and I am on mirena. I've lost a few pounds already but haven't logged that yet. The only birth control that HAS been proven to significantly increase weight is depo-provera. If you want, go off your birth control--but then you'll just gain weight from pregnancy. :-)
  • GrammarNerd
    GrammarNerd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seconding everyone else so far. I have Mirena and I have had no trouble losing weight.