Spinning class ideas,, anyone?

Options
Hey! So we have an exercise bike at home (Im on vacation at a relative's place) and though I love doing it I thought I'd step it up a notch with some spinning. Any ideas for a DIY spin class?

Replies

• capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Spin classes use a bike and saddle that's more like a real bike than a traditional exercise bike. There are many spinning DVDs on Amazon with ratings, if you're looking for a program to watch while you exercise.

The energy of a group class, imho, is far more motivating!
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Bumping for more ideas!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'd see if there anything available on You Tube.

It would also be pretty easy to put together a HIIT style workout, working on speed for one section, resistance for another. Use a stop-watch...

Have you been to some spin classes to see what they do in them? I'm actually sat here after returning from one and I do think it would be pretty easy to set up at home but you'd have to be seriously motivated to push yourself as hard as you'd need to.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Regular upright bikes are not designed for spinning. You would need an actual spin bike.:frown:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Go for Tabata's sometimes :-) You can get a timer on your phone in whatever app store you use

Then

Full belt for 20 seconds with 10 second rest - repeat x8
    rest for 1 minute
    Repeat the first 8 sets

This is 9 minutes work :-)

The idea is to go so fast and hard you feel like you are going to throw up. BUT if you do this your fitness levels will fly. I'm not suggesting this is the only thing you but it will really help
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    PS - warm up first :-)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There's a cycling app for that. Or just do a series of timed sprints.

Your larger issue is that it an exercise bike is generally unsuitable for spinning. You really need a weighted flywheel bike to make that work right
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    set some music up and do some sprints, hill climbs, casual & get your 8 count down.