Calorie counting not for me?

Options
I'm relatively new to MFP (I tried once a few years ago, but I only lasted a couple of days), so this may be a stage of the acclimation process, but I'm wondering if this method of weight-loss is the right avenue for me. I'm already a healthy weight, and overall I like my body, but I was hoping to shed a bit of my outer layer of squish for a special event.

I'm finding that some days I slightly exceed my recommended calories, and then I'm motivated to work out, which is fine. Other days, I realize I've exceeded my calorie total by such a large amount that I will not be able to recoup it even CLOSE to my limit, and then I just give up. I am a notorious snacker, and I just give in to those snack impulses. I have a history of limited willpower once I start (I think a lot of it's a sensory thing), and that holds true in this case, too.

I recognize the math of it all, and I realize that if I stopped the eating and did some exercise, even though it might not negate my overage, it would still be helpful, but I get sucked into a self-soothing spiral (like that alliteration?) :smile: and don't reach bottom until I am uncomfortably overstuffed or it's bedtime.

I wonder if being so hyperaware of what I'm putting in my body is leading me to sabotage myself...I don't feel like I was eating this poorly before I started the program. I recognize some of my pattern is stress eating, hormonal eating, and boredom eating, but the awareness doesn't help me put down the Starbursts. It just fuels my need for comfort, and I eat more.

Has anyone else had this experience? How did you get past it?

At this point, the pattern I'm in probably has impacted my ability to reach my goal by the date of my event (6/23), but it is bathing suit season, too, so I might as well try to fix it if I can!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• TheKSop
    TheKSop Posts: 7
    Options
    Today's a new day; hoping to get back on track. Any help is welcome, though!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like maybe you don't need to lose weight at all. You might consider a strength training program like Strong lifts 5x5 or Starting Strength to do some body re composition instead of trying to get to a specific number on the scale
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I read your post 3 times to make sure I understood what you are asking. It sounds like you need a bit of self control. If you know you are a "notorious snacker, and I just give in to those snack impulses", either a) chose healthier snacks or b) use self control or more of that "limited willpower" and don't snack at all.

A third option, since you only have 5lbs to lose and want to get rid of the "squish", start a program of strength training.
  • TheKSop
    Options
    You might consider a strength training program like Strong lifts 5x5 or Starting Strength to do some body re composition instead of trying to get to a specific number on the scale

I'll look into that; thank you! The scale numbers don't much matter to me (and I'm fairly certain my scale is really inaccurate), so that'd make sense.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    Hi there. It's the same for me. This is what I'm currently trying. I've looked up online How many servings of each food group I should have a day. Downscaled it just a little too create a deficit, and then I googled Hand portion control. It's a chart that shows you what portion sizes look like based on your hand. The next thing you need to learn is to LISTEN. Only eat when you are hungry. When your stomach is grumbling. And you need to understand that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to send signals to your stomach that you're full. (On a scale from 1-10 of fulness, always aim for a 5 or a 6) To keep myself from snacking I chew gum all day. I try not to think about calories anymore and just listen to what my body needs. Also, I have 2 set days a week (tuesday and sunday) when I allow myself a treat or a cheat. But STILL practice portion control when you have it.

The only other advice I can give you is don't keep snacks in the house. If you want to eat something...cook a meal. You'd be surprized at how sometimes your hunger just goes away because it's too much work. ;)
  • TheKSop
    Options
    It sounds like you need a bit of self control. If you know you are a "notorious snacker, and I just give in to those snack impulses", either a) chose healthier snacks or b) use self control or more of that "limited willpower" and don't snack at all.

A third option, since you only have 5lbs to lose and want to get rid of the "squish", start a program of strength training.

Agreed; I definitely need self control. If it's nearby, I eat it. I go through all sorts of cognitive tricks; delaying, focusing on the goal, etc., but if I'm idle (i.e.: at work sitting down to do paperwork or just getting home from work and settling in), it's all downhill (and usually I'm legitimately hungry and idle). I start out eating my fill of healthy stuff, continue feeling unsatisfied, and continue onto the unhealthy stuff (which tends to be nearby where I work, and my husband keeps snacks around, too).

How do people build willpower?

I"m going to look into the strength training avenue.

Thanks!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How much did you set your initial goal of weight loss per week at? If you don't have much to lose it might be a good idea to set it to half a pound a week if you set it higher because that will give you more calories and still help you get to your goal.

Also, with your goal I highly suggest strength training. It will improve how you look and you might not even have to lose weight. You will not get bulky from lifting heavy.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    We recently had a marathon thread about a young lady who had the same problem. She thought that counting calories actually made her eat more, and eat more junk instead of 'healthy' foods.
    In her case, she had quite a bit of weight to lose, and was prone to binging. She also had an excuse for everything that was suggested.

I think it is in human nature to want to rebel against any rules, and calorie counting is definitely a 'rule' or restriction.
    Most of us realize, however, that maturity is needed to do the things that we don't like, because they are necessary to reach our goals.

In your case, however, since you don't need to lose any weight, and just want to increase your fitness, I would suggest not worrying about your calorie count. Like others have suggested, start a lifting program to create the shape you want. Just make sure that you are eating enough protein to properly feed your muscle tissue.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You might also try pre-logging and preparing portioned out snacks ahead of time. There are a lot of days when I will throw some goldfish or jerky in a baggie to take with me for when I get the urge to munch on something.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a bit of self control. If you know you are a "notorious snacker, and I just give in to those snack impulses", either a) chose healthier snacks or b) use self control or more of that "limited willpower" and don't snack at all.

Agreed; I definitely need self control. If it's nearby, I eat it. I go through all sorts of cognitive tricks; delaying, focusing on the goal, etc., but if I'm idle (i.e.: at work sitting down to do paperwork or just getting home from work and settling in), it's all downhill (and usually I'm legitimately hungry and idle). I start out eating my fill of healthy stuff, continue feeling unsatisfied, and continue onto the unhealthy stuff (which tends to be nearby where I work, and my husband keeps snacks around, too).

I"m going to look into the strength training avenue.

Thanks!

What is the "healthy stuff" you are eating that leaves you unsatisfied? Your diary is closed so I don't know how much you are eating (daily cals) or what you are eating. If you have to large of a calorie deficit (and trying to lose 5lbs, your deficit should probably be about 250-300cals/day) or are eating a diet that unnecessarily restricts your macros, will will feel unsatisfied, no matter how "healthy" you eat.

ETA: And how does one build will power? Well, for one, I don't believe in this magical trait called "will power". I do, however, believe in self control and discipline. One builds strong self control and strong discipline the same way one builds a strong body - by exercise. The more you exercise or use your self control and discipline, the strong is gets.

When I started on MFP, I ran across the following quote and it has become my mantra. "Discipline is the difference between what you want now (a snack) and what you want most (a non-squishy body)." When you make the conscience decision to choose your long term goals over your short term desire, you will see the results you are looking for. And this applies to any endeavor you encounter.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

You choose a goal, and set your mind to reaching that goal.
    Before you do something that might interfere with that goal, you ask yourself , "Is it worth it to have X, if it delays or prevents me from reaching that goal?"
    If you find yourself continuing to do things that interfere with your goal, then apparently you don't really want to reach it badly enough.

One good thing about calorie and macro counting is that you can concentrate on reaching your macro goals, but still be able to fit in foods that don't scream 'diet' foods, without guilt.

Most of us struggle with 'black and white' thinking at some point in our lives. Once we can learn moderation, in all areas, life becomes much easier.

But as for your question on willpower- You either want it or you don't.

Make a list of all the things that will benefit you by reaching your goal.
    What will happen if you DON'T make the necessary changes?
    Where do you want to be physically 10-20 years from now?