The hardest thing you had to overcome to lose weight?

Options
Hello. I think this is already my 1000th try to effectively lose weight to no avail. I must be doing something very wrong because those who have successfully lost weight make it sound so easy to lose all that 50 lbs and more. :grumble: Having such a hard time bringing my weight down and looking more fit. Maybe I just need a concrete explanation on how it is properly done, you know what I mean? So first, I would like to know WHAT WAS THE HARDEST THING FOR YOU GUYS TO OVERCOME in order to lose weight and how you overcame it? Maybe, just maybe, I'm experiencing the same thing and you could shed some light on the matter for me. Would appreciate your answers guys. Thanks! :ohwell:

Replies

• missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me (at first) was getting off my butt and exercising... I did it by pushing myself... The second hardest was the calorie limit and staying under. This was actually easier at first than it is now :(
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Getting a diagnosis for my Hashimoto's, and consistency.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Realizing that the 1/4 - 1/2 lb I lose on average per week still adds up to big losses over time. There's no fast and easy way - its a slog.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Weekends :(
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me to overcome was my mindset. I was stubborn and didn't want to put in work or change my habits. I would occasionally fuss and mope and wish I wasn't so big but I did not do a single thing to change where I was. I had terrible habits. I remember feeling full but I would keep eating because there was food on my plate or I was bored and I wanted the mental/emotional satisfaction of eating even though my body was shouting "Enough already!".

After several days of continually ignoring those signals my body finally revolted. I remember waking up one day with absolutely no appetite. Everything looked gross. The only thing I could stomach was some fruit, eggs, and milk. After 3 days of feeling this way my brain finally caught on and realized that I was sick of eating the way I had been eating and needed a change. I was pretty heavy and the idea of losing weight was still too daunting for me to really commit to so instead I committed to cleaning up eating habits (more fresh fruits and veggies, less processed foods, less junk food), making a conscious effort to eat when I was hungry instead of when I was bored or need and emotional "fix", and to moving more. I could commit to those changes because they made me feel better immediately.

Of course this resulted in me starting to lose weight which was motivating and spurred me to continue these habits and add the goal of continuing to lose weight. I started logging my food and exercise. I chose to think of eating healthy and exercising as immediately gratifying activities that made me feel good right away and losing weight as a long term goal that I had to work towards. I realized to be successful I had to think of this as a lifestyle change and not a temporary change.
  • mattjft
    mattjft Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The hardest for me was finding the right type of workout to do that I would do it without skipping ever. I wont say I look forward to doing T25 but I certainly feel weird when I dont do it on my two rest days. But I did not skip a workout through the whole 14 week program which to me says something major.
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    The hardest thing for me to overcome was my mindset. I was stubborn and didn't want to put in work or change my habits. I would occasionally fuss and mope and wish I wasn't so big but I did not do a single thing to change where I was. I had terrible habits. I remember feeling full but I would keep eating because there was food on my plate or I was bored and I wanted the mental/emotional satisfaction of eating even though my body was shouting "Enough already!".

After several days of continually ignoring those signals my body finally revolted. I remember waking up one day with absolutely no appetite. Everything looked gross. The only thing I could stomach was some fruit, eggs, and milk. After 3 days of feeling this way my brain finally caught on and realized that I was sick of eating the way I had been eating and needed a change. I was pretty heavy and the idea of losing weight was still too daunting for me to really commit to so instead I committed to cleaning up eating habits (more fresh fruits and veggies, less processed foods, less junk food), making a conscious effort to eat when I was hungry instead of when I was bored or need and emotional "fix", and to moving more. I could commit to those changes because they made me feel better immediately.

Of course this resulted in me starting to lose weight which was motivating and spurred me to continue these habits and add the goal of continuing to lose weight. I started logging my food and exercise. I chose to think of eating healthy and exercising as immediately gratifying activities that made me feel good right away and losing weight as a long term goal that I had to work towards. I realized to be successful I had to think of this as a lifestyle change and not a temporary change.

^^^100% exactly THIS for me! By the way LadyBane, awesome job! I saw your ticker and it totally made me creep your pictures.... LOL! Keep it up...
  • lbishop232
    lbishop232 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing I had to overcome was to continue to workout when I was working 60 hours a week! Also continuing to workout when the scale is stuck!
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    eating
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    excuses
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ...accepting and appreciating my body exactly as it was at every step along the way.
  • ARoman51
    ARoman51 Posts: 2
    Options
    For me was that i always need something new that motivates me, until i found a really cheap Garmin Forerunner and i mean REALLY cheap like 5 bucks, i didn't even know what it was for but when i learned how to use it i got started and loose like 10Kg, eventually i lost interest and started gaining weight again, then i found MyFitnessPal and a new Forerunner and i started all over again.

so i think my point is that the most hard thing to get is motivation and people around you are there to help you!
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way a success yet.... But I am struggling with not wanting to restrict and knowing when enough is enough. I am working on being more mindful so I can tell myself that I don't really need a certain foodstuff and I'm just bored/emotional/lonely/etc.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    giving up the idea of rigid goals and perfection - I now have a destination loosely planned without a timeline. I also just keep going or resume, no matter how bad I just slid off. I used to be done because I didn't do it perfectly. Now, imperfection, that's ok - just resume and keep going. I don't set a lot of rules - I don't set a lot of strict goals - I am happier than ever and slowly, happily, moving in the right directions.
  • Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Weekends :(

Exactly. I have a rough time adjusting to any days off. During the workweek, the food and exercise routine is no issue at all. With the exception of Saturday lifting, the rest of the weekend is pretty shot.

I don't go crazy, but I do spend quite a bit of time gaming, and that knocks me off kilter even though I do eat primarily healthy snacks.

By Wednesday, the weight is usually back on track and so am I. It used to bother me quite a bit, but then I stopped caring. As long as the overall goal of weight declination was happening, I didn't mind.
  • medicablasto
    medicablasto Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    realizing I didn´t have to eat everything that was put in front of me!!... and I don´t need food to celebrate or to stress less... the answer to stress by the way was movinggggg!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    There are people who make this sound easy?
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Finally accepting that there is no easy or healthy way to drop 20 pounds a month. I'm actually still trying to let that idea go...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For me, the hardest thing to overcome was me. First, it was my ignorance. I knew about macros but didn't understand how they would affect how I lost weight. I never considered that each time I lost weight, I was losing muscle too, making each subsequent attempt to lose weight harder and harder. Next, it was my excuses. I don't have time to exercise. I don't have time to weigh my food. Then, I was always in a rush. I wanted to lose X amount of pounds by X date. I wouldn't set realistic goals, try too hard (too low of calories, too much cardio) and I'd burn out, regain and wait until I got the "motivation" to begin again.

Finally, I put it all together. I got rid of the misinformation (proper macros and appropriate types of exercise for my goals), got rid of my lame excuses (accurate food tracking and exercise were now akin to my job and parenting) and am taking my time. I started near 200 lbs over three years ago. I lose 10-15 lbs and then go into maintenance. I want to teach myself to live at these new weights. I don't want to be that statistic... again. Maybe it will take me another year to get to my ultimate goal of 130 (arbitrary as it is), maybe two but when I do get there, I know I'll be the healthiest, most well adjusted 130 I have ever been.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Attitude and physical abilities. Weekends- I have a pretty active job so other than the gym there isnt much activity on the weekend. I need to work on that though. I have hypothyroid so all bets are off. I used to be about 210 pounds a few years ago. As long as you keep a positive attitude and try your best to not get discouraged you will be fine. It also helps me if I work out after work every day. Find an exercise you like and stick with it and it wont feel like an exercise for long. Data is a big helper too. If you find a way to quantify everything it might motivate you better :)