"I feel like a Snickers, so I'm gonna run 2 miles..."

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    prior to using TDEE method I did it...now that I "can't earn" extra calories I just make sure the treats fit in...if I want a snickers or in my case cadbury milk chocolate I work my calories/macros around it...seems to work great.

My sister lives life like that...and maintains quite well...
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It works perfectly for me. In fact, I do it every day as I eat utter rubbish and want to earn the calories to continue doing it.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I used to be a lot like this, but since I changed my workout approach to gaining strength, not gaining calories (normally by running for miles) for junk-food/wine and started paying attention to macros - so much protein I barely feel hungry by mealtimes, my attitude has really changed. I want the food I eat to be doing something good for me so I will try and avoid 'empty' calories. Saying that though, I'm no saint and I want to enjoy life too, so there's always wriggle room in a week for an ice-cream should I want one, or some wine, or chocolate...thing is I just don't crave it so much.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Exercising makes me appreciate food. I'd have to run 2.5 miles for a Snickers? Ugh.

Homemade key-lime pie (with real key limes) is worth 2.5 miles. I'd run a marathon for the whole pie.

I agree with this. I'd have to run 3 miles and Snickers aren't even that nice. I like running though so I don't do it for a specific treat. But if I'm having a rest day and want to eat more food (not one specific item) I might think of a reason I need to cycle 10 miles, so I can eat bigger portions.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    No, I don't really do this.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I'd say as long as they weren't overdoing it, then what's the harm?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The principle is cool, but it doesn't work for me - at all.

When I eat more than just a little bit of chocolate, chips or whatever, I get so tired and lazy that exercise is totally out of the question.

Reversely, when I do exercize, I don't feel like chocolate or nything like that, I want real food.

So the idea is of a negative feedback loop, that with me turns into a positive one. And that's not good.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Snickers used to be called Marathon (over here) - so you need to run 26.2 :-)
  • lambeau_leap
    Options
    I definitely have the same problem. I eat well for a while then BAM eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the expression "you can't out-exercise a bad diet", but if you generally eat well, and want to feel free to indulge on something specific, why not plan for it?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Snickers Bar Calories
    A standard size Snickers bar, which weighs 52.7 grams, has 250 calories, including 110 calories from fat. The amount that one Snickers bar makes up of your daily calorie intake depends on the number of calories you consume. The Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion recommends that, on average, women consume between 1,800 and 2,400 calories daily. This number varies according to your age and level of activity.

Running Calories Burned
    The number of calories you'll burn while running depends on the speed of your run, the length of your run and your weight. Harvard Medical School reports that a 155-pound person will burn 298 calories during a 30-minute run at 5 mph, while a 185-pound person will burn 355 calories during the same run. If, for example, you weigh 155 pounds, you'll need to run for about 26 minutes to burn off the calories you consumed while eating the Snickers bar.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just plan it out in my food, or accept the 200 calories over and enjoy my life.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If I ran out to burn off a Snickers bar and when I got back it turned into a slice of Key Lime Pie, I would consider that a result!
  • TahoeHeathen
    Options
    If I want to indulge, I change my menu for the day to allow it, then I don't have to worry about the additional calories or sugars or whatevers because it's there. No need to change routines, just a little bit of planning. With enough practice it can be done on the fly. I haven't had any problems with this method.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Boy... Some of you took me super literally with the Snickers. It was more of a metaphor.

I see lots of people saying if it's for a small treat or snack or moderation, it's ok. But what if I want a real binge day? Let's say I don't want to borrow from other days, I just want my 1500 budget to be a 3000 budget for the day. Does a 15k morning run validate or negate my afternoon binge? Or have we crossed some undefined threshold?
  • These_goto_11
    These_goto_11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the expression "you can't out-exercise a bad diet", but if you generally eat well, and want to feel free to indulge on something specific, why not plan for it?

I want an Oreo Friend-z (like a DQ blizzard), this weekend. I'm going to plan to make it work!
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I will run for treats and have run for treats (mint chocolate ice cream for example)... Or there are days where I will look at something that I may eat just because it's there...then I will think to myself, how long do I have to run to burn off these calories? Usually that does the trick and I walk away from the donut or cookies or whatever junk is on the counter at work that our elderly patients bring in daily!!!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If I am able to do monster rides thirty years down the road and mowing down on an entire pizza as a reward occasionally is part of the list of reasons why, I will not consider this a problem.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't see things this way. I pretty much assume I'm going to have a treat every day, so I'm more active so I can afford it.

But no, I'm not going to go for a run specifically so I can have a snickers later.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people saying if it's for a small treat or snack or moderation, it's ok. But what if I want a real binge day? Let's say I don't want to borrow from other days, I just want my 1500 budget to be a 3000 budget for the day. Does a 15k morning run validate or negate my afternoon binge? Or have we crossed some undefined threshold?

I'd do the running for its own sake. But if I've run 20 miles, I'm still going to enjoy spending the rest of the day refuelling. :smile: