Mapmywalk craziness

So, I originally had Edomondo, but that was a bit batty so after polling the board here, I downloaded MMW, it seems ok for the most part, but sometimes the calorie burn seems quite high. Today it had me at about 600 calories for 57 minutes. When I check all the online trackers and what's not. It's way less. Since it's GPS and what's not, I wonder if MMW would account for all the inclines and declines in my walk. It's not a straight surface but there are several hills and what's not. Also, sometimes the lines on my walk is very zig-zagged. It has me returning where I did not return. Thoughts?

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I don't use their calorie counts - I figure my speed based on their gps and time statistics - then enter it on MFP based on speed/time only. Their calorie count seems high to me too - so I just use MFP's.

If it shows I walked 1.25 miles in 30 minutes - I just divide 30/60 - so that's 0.5 hours walked. Then divide 1.25/0.5 - so 2.5 mph. Then I record 30 minutes of walking 2.5 mph on MFP (the walking is divided up by speed - I just round to the closest one)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Is the gps tracking accurately? Mi use MMR(run) for walks and it's very accurate during my routes.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Yes, with a few exceptions - my last walk the gps glitched. First time really I've had that happen. Big storm was coming - thought it may have affected it. It picks up and drops the gps a lot - but it gets the distance right - seems to fill in the gaps when it picks up again.