African American hair question-HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    OMG! My husband and I had this VERY conversation like 30 min ago. I'm working out longer and harder with every workout and currently my hair is in a pony but that's getting old and matronly. Haven't had a relaxer since March so perhaps it just time for me to cut the rest of it out and wash and go.

Thanks and thanks and thanks! Great topic of discussion.
  • Dionne2010
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

I dont know what to do with my hair! I have not had the "creamy crack" in my hair since 1992, and I am at a loss as to what to do with my hair normally. Now adding working out to the hair issue I am just sooooo lost!

Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    AWE it really is challenging trying to figure out what to do, I have transitioned to locs......that works for me. Before that I used to just wear my hair pulled back in a bun when I got it in at the gym.
  • Mehs
    Mehs Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My hair was natural for 31/2 years until I relaxed it about 2 months ago. It didn't completely straighten so I have to flat iron or press it to get it straight. I posted a few days ago that I didn't exercise last week because I didn't want to sweat my hair out but this week its back to puffy hair. I pretty much just keep it in a ponytail, braids or wigs. I don't know what else to do. Good question, Maya. You ladies gave some great tips although I don't know if I can go back natural....too many tangles for me.
  • vi_msbehavin
    vi_msbehavin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Another natural checking in! I can't imagine having to deal with relaxed hair and trying to work out everyday. As some others have recommended try getting a sew-in or some braids. You can also try incorporating some head bands to cover up your edges at work. HTH!
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    6 months after I decided to change my eating habits I decided to change my hair. Went for locs and wondered why I hadn't gone that route years ago.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

http://www.naturallycurly.com

:flowerforyou:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cbyas
    Cbyas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a natural new to the work out daily thing. Just saying hey. Thus far I keep my hair in box braids.
  • komplexlysimple
    Options
    braid outs and buns
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I used to be a straight natural ONLY kinda girl...until I started trying to seriously lose weight. Now, I'm a curly natural, I might straighten once a month, and when I do it's only for 3 days tops.
    It's not worth the effort it takes to get it straight to go back and sweat it out. Applying heat everyday to keep it straight does more harm than good.
    Sweat bands have helped me, but I sweat a lot in my scalp too
  • mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The best thing that worked for me (even though it didnt last long, and I wasn't working out as much) was getting a tight roller wrap. I would wrap my hair before I worked out, and put on a breatheable scarf (from Walmart) and wouldn't unwrap it til the next morning when it was dry. That would keep my hairstyle for about 3 days. Everyday it would get a little looser, then I would ponytail it up or blow dry it and flat iron it. Right now I just do a home perm and ponytail it up, and if I go somewhere special, I just flat iron it.
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump