Gaining while working out

Options
Hello there,
after losing 6kg in a year (I know it's not much, but I started at 57 and am now at around 51/52 and I'm 160cm tall so I should be at my ideal weight) I am now in a "strange phase".
I workout twice a week, mainly cardio and some weight, and I do some little exercises at home every day. I eat clean 80% of the time also becuase I have Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease.
I got weighted at my gym and the result showed that my maintaining kcal goal should be around 1350, but MFP tells me I shoul eat at last 1500/1700 kcal. So you can guess my doubts. Which one should I follow?

In the last coulple of weeks I noticed that I gained a few pounds, while still eating clean working out regularly....is it possible?
Or could it just be water/muscles!?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I suspect the 1350 is not your maitenance calories...it's probably your BMR...

Eating clean does not mean you are at maitenance.

It's not muscle...

It could be water retention...
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you want efficient results, 2 days/week of exercise is not enough. To get great results 5-6 days/week is ideal. How many calories are you eating? Setting a calorie goal can be tricky. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

Allan