I HATE THE TASTE OF WATER!

Options
I do. I've tried to like it but I HATE THE TASTE OF WATER!

Instead of drinking water, I make unsweet iced tea - decaffienated.

Is this okay? Does it still count as water?

I can't see how adding a bit of unsweetened, un-caffienated flavor could matter, but thought I'd ask nonetheless.

Thanks for your help and I love this site!

Replies

• robjuliew
    Options
    tea counts, and try crystal light too!
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    Yes that is ok. In fact on WW you are permitted to count it as water. You could also add fresh or bottled lemon or lime juice. You don't need much and it really adds to the flavor. Also, I only like water if it is ICE cold, try adding a LOT of ice and see if you like it any better.
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Another great addition to water is the Special K protein mixes. They taste great (to me) and have 5 grams each of protein and fiber.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I second the Crystal Light. I love my water, but Crystal Light is great. There are many many yummy flavors, and they have them in single serving packets as well. They all taste great, IMHO. I give it to my kids sometimes, they view it as a treat. It sure replaces kool-aid and all that sugar, we don't even miss it! Good luck!
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    decaf doesn't mean un-caf...

it means decreased caf...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/11/health/webmd/main2081503.shtml
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    Try Crystal Lite w/ your water. It's the only way I can get my water in.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've heard that tea, whether it has caffeine or not, shouldn't be counted as water because it actually dehydrates you, the same way soda or alcohol will. Crystal Light isn't so great either since it's made with artificial sweetener.

I don't like drinking water from a glass, I never have. It's just not something I can do. But I can easily drink my 8 glasses or more if I'm drinking from a travel cup with a straw or from a sport bottle. They both keep the water fresher and because they are closed containers I don't feel the pressure to drink it all at once. I can take drinks here and there and before I know it I'm having to refill the cup or bottle.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've heard that tea, whether it has caffeine or not, shouldn't be counted as water because it actually dehydrates you, the same way soda or alcohol will. Crystal Light isn't so great either since it's made with artificial sweetener.

I've never heard that about tea. Like the OP - I sometimes make tea that way on days when I want a "treat". I don't like Crystal Light - it's WAY too strongly flavored for my liking.

I need to look up that info on tea. I wouldn't want to undo any good that I do with water :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah but isn't the aspertame in the crystal light bad for you? that's why you shouldn't have sweet and low either? i suggest making green tea and putting a scooch of honey in it...cool it off if you want a cold drink, but i like it hot so i can kill my food cravings. I also put lemon slices in my water bottle...i know that I have to drink 1 water bottle and 1 tea thermos before the work day is done. I premake both drinks and have them at my desk all day. I usually start with the water first and then have tea in the afternoon. or put an orange slice in the water, that works well too...
  • Gizmo52
    Options

I've never heard that about tea. Like the OP - I sometimes make tea that way on days when I want a "treat". I don't like Crystal Light - it's WAY too strongly flavored for my liking.

I need to look up that info on tea. I wouldn't want to undo any good that I do with water :)

I find that if I put Crystal Light in a 33 oz bottle of water it isn't quite so strong and is quite tasty. I've even just put in half a packet in the 33 oz as well.

I like the Energy Crystal Light.
  • MTDork87
    MTDork87 Posts: 205
    Options
    I do to and my solution is seltzer. It tastes different and counts exactly the same as water.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    yeah but isn't the aspertame in the crystal light bad for you? that's why you shouldn't have sweet and low either? i suggest making green tea and putting a scooch of honey in it...cool it off if you want a cold drink, but i like it hot so i can kill my food cravings. I also put lemon slices in my water bottle...i know that I have to drink 1 water bottle and 1 tea thermos before the work day is done. I premake both drinks and have them at my desk all day. I usually start with the water first and then have tea in the afternoon. or put an orange slice in the water, that works well too...

I've seen Crystal lights with Strevia instead of the aspartame, I can't drink either because I can tell when it isn't actually sugar and it bothers me to no end. I was drinking the Gatorade powder stuff for awhile there, if it weren't so expensive (it goes fast in my house) I'd buy it again. Its not the greatest thing ever for me but it defiantly beats Crystal Light in taste.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I find the best way to get all my water (and then some), is to use a sports/water bottle. I keep it filled up and drink it throughout the day.

I have noticed a few negative comments about crystal light....all true & make good points....they do contain artificial sweeteners that are not very good for you, but my thought is...I'd much rather add a packet of crystal light to my water than drink a soda or anything else. I like to have something besides water to drink with my meals & crystal light works great for me! Also...it's easily adjustable to your taste, too strong- add more water...not enough flavor- add less water.

I don't count it as my daily water intake, but I do log it for the calorie count into my diary. I think it's all a matter of personal opinion. Also...crystal light has come out with a new product, Pure Fitness I think it's called, that I've heard doesn't have the artificial sweeteners....might be another option for you. Good luck finding what helps!
  • tater8589
    Options
    I like the lipton tea to go flavors and those are cal free. I will warn you that raspberry smells funky.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I just can't get this. It's water. Drink it already or try to add lemon juice to it. I'll avoid my full on rant.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Tea (or any caffeinated beverage) doesn't dehydrate you, it's a mild diuretic, which means it forces the kidneys to produce more urine. That's all it means. The liquid in tea and coffee balance out any dehydrative effects that the caffeine has.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts?page=2
  • lashell617
    Options
    Frozen fruit pieces helps add a little flavor, along with a bit of Honey. I like lemons, oranges, or berries but please do not freeze a banana and add it to your water, you will be disgusted in the end
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I hate water too. I always have a squeeze of lime or lemon. However I hate hate hate those pre-flavored waters YUCK!! Try fresh lemon or lime though it make a world of difference.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tea & decafe tea do not count as water according to every diet I have ever been on. Although your herbal teas do count as water. I even do not mind them cold. All your crystal light & sugar free sweet ice teas are loaded with chemicals that your body really does not need. If you do use them I think it would be smart to use them in moderation. Putting lemon or lime slices in your water makes the water taste different for those who do not like plain water. Green teas are also good but do have caffeine in them.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Tea (or any caffeinated beverage) doesn't dehydrate you, it's a mild diuretic, which means it forces the kidneys to produce more urine. That's all it means. The liquid in tea and coffee balance out any dehydrative effects that the caffeine has.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts?page=2

I found similar info from a study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The study found that it didn't have a dehyrating effect.

Question...does forcing the kidneys to produce more urine have an adverse effect on them?