Constantly hungry even after eating

Options
2»

Replies

• OliviaCeed
    OliviaCeed Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am following the Wharton Clinic lifestyle plan.

For everyone, diet is personal and is primarily geared by gender, age, activity level, health concerns, height, frame.

1200 calories is the bare minimum. 55%carbs, 25% Fat, 20% Protein seems to be a standard often used.

I'm 5'4", 51, female, average build with no significant health concerns - GERD and allergy asthma. I'm being watched for hypertension.

I started with 1400 calories but now I'm on a 1500 calorie diet. Ideally I exercise daily (swimming). And, as reviewed by a Bariatric Educator, a Nutritionist, a GP and followed by a Cardiologist, my meal plan has been adjusted to 45%Carbs, 35%Protein and 20%Fat. I am to hit 30g of Fiber a day. And that's largely because of the exercise and my reports of being tired and my measurements changing noticeably with a weight loss averaging just under 2LBS a week. I've also been asked to increase my daily water intake to 10 glasses a day. In July, I will be reviewed again and my diet will likely be adjusted further.

I think you're not eating enough food for the amount of energy you use up. It might serve you well to adjust the balance between carbs, protein and fat. A nutritionist can help you with that.

I find that when my meals are not satiating, using Pgx granules eliminates that. I scoop is 5 calories in carbs and 5g in Fiber.

It does happen that food calms down ulcers. If it doesn't, then maybe you really are having hunger pains. If you are thinking you may have an active ulcer, sipping water is often recommended. I have found Zagarasse Licorice (real licorice, not molasses) and Egyptian Licorice tea is very soothing. It might be something you might want to try to ease your ulcer - though it is an acquired taste.

It does sound to me like you've made major lifestyle changes. Congratulations to you on that. You have an indomitable spirit!

And of course, my best to you and I sincerely hope you find a resolution to your present question.

<3
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For the past few weeks now I've been constantly hungry...well it feels like gnawing hunger and this is happening even after I've ate a meal and I logically know I can't possibly be.

Is it possible that you are bored? There are times when I have had the same feeling... still "hungry" even after I've eaten a meal... In the past, I would continue to "feed" that "hunger", which -- of course-- explains why I was fat, but I'd never quite get "full"

Since changing my lifestyle, I've come to find that 99.9% of the time it is because I am bored with my food choices; I am bored with my daily routine; I am tired; etc. The work week is very hectic for me. I am constantly busy doing what I have to do... when weekends come, I suddenly find myself with time on my hands and just too plain lazy to find something to do. I've found myself standing in front of the cupboard or the open refridgerator looking for something to eat even though I know I am not really hungry. I make sure now that I have something planned for days like this -- sometimes as simple as grabbing my IPad and firing up the treadmill for an hour or so (I watch Netflix on the Ipad as I walk -- I try to find a series that I will only allow myself to watch when I am walking). I make a deal with myself that if I am still feeling hungry AFTER I've done this, then I will eat something but usually the distraction is enough to get my mind focused on something else other than perceived hunger.
  • Goldilukes
    Goldilukes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also immediately thought of an ulcer, especially since you get this pain after eating. Try seeing which foods make the pain worse, or if it is all foods, and if there is any foodstuff which calms the pain - yoghurt, for instance. See your doctor. Good luck!

Thanks!
    Funnily enough it's been happening after dinners with onions, garlic or tomato based sauce.
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling constant pain and hunger then your body is trying to tell you something. In my opinion most people, unless they're morbidly obese, do not need to cut to 1200 calories to lose weight. I think that is a flaw in MFP because anyone who chooses 2lb a week loss gets that limit, regardless of their stats. Try setting it to 1lb a week loss and that way you can eat less on days when you feel like it, or eat more and not see the annoying red number of death.
  • Goldilukes
    Options
    For the past few weeks now I've been constantly hungry...well it feels like gnawing hunger and this is happening even after I've ate a meal and I logically know I can't possibly be.

Is it possible that you are bored? There are times when I have had the same feeling... still "hungry" even after I've eaten a meal... In the past, I would continue to "feed" that "hunger", which -- of course-- explains why I was fat, but I'd never quite get "full"

Since changing my lifestyle, I've come to find that 99.9% of the time it is because I am bored with my food choices; I am bored with my daily routine; I am tired; etc. The work week is very hectic for me. I am constantly busy doing what I have to do... when weekends come, I suddenly find myself with time on my hands and just too plain lazy to find something to do. I've found myself standing in front of the cupboard or the open refridgerator looking for something to eat even though I know I am not really hungry. I make sure now that I have something planned for days like this -- sometimes as simple as grabbing my IPad and firing up the treadmill for an hour or so (I watch Netflix on the Ipad as I walk -- I try to find a series that I will only allow myself to watch when I am walking). I make a deal with myself that if I am still feeling hungry AFTER I've done this, then I will eat something but usually the distraction is enough to get my mind focused on something else other than perceived hunger.

It's definitely not this because when I was overweight I did used to boredom or stress eat and I have not done that since. This feeling is just like you've got an empty stomach and it even gurgles but logically after a filling meal of around 350-400 cals it can not be real hunger so I ignore those pains until I believe it is time to get something however it is happening around 20-30 mins after eating and stays with me until I decide to eat again. It's quite an awkward feeling and even when I am busy rushing about, doing work, walking anything it's constantly panging away.
  • Goldilukes
    Options
    I am your exact height and weight, and I'm eating ~1500 to lose .5 pound a week. 1200 calories is very low and since you are already within the healthy weight range for your height, you should be aiming to lose about .5 pound a week. Set your goal on MFP to lose .5 pound a week (or even .7 pounds a week) and see how many calories it gives you then. You're hungry because you're eating too little. I'd be constantly hungry at 1200 cal/day, too.

I also second everyone's suggestion to eat more protein (lean meats, beans, cheese, eggs, milk, etc.) and drink more water.

Thank you for your reply, I am going to update my goals and see if that helps although what's getting me confused is I am not just hungry at night after my food is all logged and eaten, it's throughout the day before I'm even logging as I go and it doesn't seem to matter how many calories I eat at that meal it still sets in horribly 20-30 mins later, so strange.

I'm going to go shopping and bring in some meats,cheeses, eggs and beans.
  • Goldilukes
    Options
    A starting point would be to eat a NET 1,200 calories. 3 days in your diary, and with exercise, or without, you are netting 1,050 on average. Your BMR is closer to 1,350(read the BMR definition) assuming you are at 30% body fat.

The point is this, change your goal for weight loss, and slow the process down, incorporate more caloric intake, and have a reasonable goal of 1/2 a week instead of what you have MFP set to currently. Best of luck, and remember the closer to goal the longer it takes and it will allow good habits to form for life not just the goal.

I'm really not sure what my body fat is, I have digital scales which apparently tell you but I've no idea. Judging by my lack of strength and horribly shaped tummy im assuming I've lost lots of muscle and have too much fat. Is there a way to find out for sure what your body fat is?
  • Goldilukes
    Options
    I am following the Wharton Clinic lifestyle plan.

For everyone, diet is personal and is primarily geared by gender, age, activity level, health concerns, height, frame.

1200 calories is the bare minimum. 55%carbs, 25% Fat, 20% Protein seems to be a standard often used.

I'm 5'4", 51, female, average build with no significant health concerns - GERD and allergy asthma. I'm being watched for hypertension.

I started with 1400 calories but now I'm on a 1500 calorie diet. Ideally I exercise daily (swimming). And, as reviewed by a Bariatric Educator, a Nutritionist, a GP and followed by a Cardiologist, my meal plan has been adjusted to 45%Carbs, 35%Protein and 20%Fat. I am to hit 30g of Fiber a day. And that's largely because of the exercise and my reports of being tired and my measurements changing noticeably with a weight loss averaging just under 2LBS a week. I've also been asked to increase my daily water intake to 10 glasses a day. In July, I will be reviewed again and my diet will likely be adjusted further.

I think you're not eating enough food for the amount of energy you use up. It might serve you well to adjust the balance between carbs, protein and fat. A nutritionist can help you with that.

I find that when my meals are not satiating, using Pgx granules eliminates that. I scoop is 5 calories in carbs and 5g in Fiber.

It does happen that food calms down ulcers. If it doesn't, then maybe you really are having hunger pains. If you are thinking you may have an active ulcer, sipping water is often recommended. I have found Zagarasse Licorice (real licorice, not molasses) and Egyptian Licorice tea is very soothing. It might be something you might want to try to ease your ulcer - though it is an acquired taste.

It does sound to me like you've made major lifestyle changes. Congratulations to you on that. You have an indomitable spirit!

And of course, my best to you and I sincerely hope you find a resolution to your present question.

<3

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my lifestyle change,I am for the first time in my life proud of myself for this as if I had been told last year what I'd achieve I'd have never believed it being they I am.

I've never heard of that tea but I do love liquorice so I think I'd find that comforting even if it didn't help my stomach :)

Thank you for taking the time to explain your situation and give advice, I would like to see a nutritionist because it's hard to know for sure if you are doing anything right. At the moment I am just going with what my body is enjoying except of course not giving in to the strange hunger feelings.
  • Goldilukes
    Options
    If you're feeling constant pain and hunger then your body is trying to tell you something. In my opinion most people, unless they're morbidly obese, do not need to cut to 1200 calories to lose weight. I think that is a flaw in MFP because anyone who chooses 2lb a week loss gets that limit, regardless of their stats. Try setting it to 1lb a week loss and that way you can eat less on days when you feel like it, or eat more and not see the annoying red number of death.

Lol it is an annoying red number of death especially when I enjoyed a nice steak :( I ignored the red that day though and will do it again because I know people never got obese on a good piece of steak.

I'm going to mess around with my settings and see if that helps, I also think I should go to the doctor to rule out a stomach ulcer because if it is that then I'd be eating all those extra calories when I didn't need to :)
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, Did you find out the answer? Did you rule out an ulcer? Best, Jayne
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are eating enough and nutritionally good, it may be the emptying of the stomach or contractions in the intestines you feel.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump