How to get sweet potato fries CRISPY?!

Options
2»

Replies

• NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Cut them into cubes, not sticks. Bake them half way before coating them with cornstarch and oil (shake them in a pot works best as this roughen up the edges and release some starch). Bake at 450 until they're crisp :)
    Works everytime.
  • deantcrook
    deantcrook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    These come out nice and crispy ;-) They use flour and oil
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279570726
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    They turned out crap again, all stuck to the baking tray. Probably need some greaseproof paper.

Will try those too Deano, cheers man!
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    Once you've cut the sweet potato, put a little bit of olive oil on the fries. (A spoonful or two for one potato.) Do not drench them in the oil or they can turn out soggy. Put a spoonful of cornstarch on the sweet potatoes and mix the fries in a bowl until the cornstarch is no longer visible. If you put too much cornstarch, it turns out funny. Also, I bake mine at 425 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes. After 10 minutes I flip over the fries so that one side does not get burnt. The combo of a light coating of olive oil plus a tiny bit of cornstarch makes the fries crispy and more enjoyable! Hope this helped! :)
  • tffcx
    tffcx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    air fryer works for me! not sure how accessible that is for you though.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this tip for regular oven fries is also the case for sweet potatoes. They recommend soaking the potatoes first which releases starch and reduces water content (so they don't end up steaming in the oven) prior to oiling and baking.

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/cooking-questions-tips-00400000064986/page43.html

I microwave both potato and sweet potato fries for 5 minutes first. Then dry them off, toss with a little cornstarch and spray with oil and bake at 200C fan assisted.
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper.

PLEASE use parchment paper. And some EVOO. Season as usual, lay fires on the parchment lining your pan. We bake in the top half of the over, be careful not to have it too hot. Flip them after 12mins or so, and bake again. Delicious.

did i mention parchment paper?
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    tagging for later :)
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper. parchment paper.

PLEASE use parchment paper. And some EVOO. Season as usual, lay fires on the parchment lining your pan. We bake in the top half of the over, be careful not to have it too hot. Flip them after 12mins or so, and bake again. Delicious.

did i mention parchment paper?

This! AND make sure you don't have too many. If they are all close together, they won't get crispy. They need room to breathe and become delicious.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why not just embrace their gorgeous squidgy goodness instead? I'm having sweet potatoes tonight but cut into thick slices roasted with red onion and a drizzle of olive oil.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Try baking them on a rack so there can be no moisture build up around fries. Also use the convection setting on your oven if it has one. I would also try doing them like regular fried fries and try a 2 step cooking process by par cooking first(325°F) then cooking under high temp(475°F).

Yep - you need to get moisture out of the chips at a lower temperature first, where they won't burn easily, then crank it up and get the exterior crispy/crunchy.

Still easiest with thin chips, but it works with ones that are a bit thicker, too, though they'll be more crunchy than crispy, IYKWIM.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bump! Was wondering what I was going to do with those sweet potatoes in my fridge.... Thanks!
  • swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In for the suggestions as well, bc I can never get mine crispy either.
  • kristin2700
    Options
    I saw someone already gave out this idea but I think it's right. Parchment paper might just be the trick. It's made my potatoes wedges turn out great and not needed to use much oil.