Should I eat more?

Options
So this is just for today. I've burnt more calories than I ever have in one day (1700 approx) and I'm now wondering whether or not I should eat some of those back? I'm on 1500 a day and have eaten 1400 so far (5.30pm England).

It probably sounds like a stupid question but I just don't know.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What did you do to burn 1700 cals?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    ^^Agree - how did you burn 1700 calories, and more importantly how did you measure it?
  • AlexiaLupis
    AlexiaLupis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A hell of a lot of walking.
  • AlexiaLupis
    AlexiaLupis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    MapMyWalk.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should eat more or not? I don't want to over/under eat and would like to know.
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body- if you're starving then eat back some of them. If you're feeling okay then just make sure you eat up to your calorie budget for the day. I wouldn't eat back more then 1/3 to 1/2 of any calories unless you used a HRM and know for sure what you burned.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    A hell of a lot of walking.

That would be 6-8 hours of walking at a steady pace without any brakes, if everything is measured correctly.......yes I would eat some extra calories until feeling satiated without overdoing it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yup, ear some of those back. After a long hike I'd go for a bowl of whole meal pasta with the sauce of your choice.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    This might be the best tool out there:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Especially the downloadable "calibrate the calculator" excel spreadsheet link about 3/4 of the way down. I add extra columns for date, calories consumed that day, and exercise done (not calories burned, just so I can remember what I did that day).

It has seriously made the biggest impact. I just work off the TDEE - 10-20% for loss. For me, my daily goal is 1671 calories (I'm 5/4, 138 lbs--goal 130-135ish, 46 years old). Give or take about 100. I consistently lose something about every 2-3 days. On MFP I set up custom calories, and I log my exercise as 1 calorie. So I eat the same every day regardless of if I did no exercise or if I cycled 60 miles (well maybe I go over by more if I cycled 60 miles).

Takes the daily guess work out.

Blessings.