carbs....

turbojanem
turbojanem Posts: 285
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
they are important in your daily eating. and what you choose to eat as your carbs is VERY important.

to live a healthy lifestyle with lots of energy eat:
*brown breads (made with no HFCS)
*colorful fresh/frozen fruits 2-4 per day (limit your tropical fruits: banana, pineapple, etc. they are high in sugar and will spike your sugar levels)
*colorful fresh/frozen veggies
*long cooking rices. (know a serving size) cook them on the stove top or in a rice cooker to get all the nutritional value out of them. cooking it in the micro depletes the nutritional value.
*whole grain pasta (know a serving size)

to have energy, you must have good carbs. the more color it has, the better for you it is.

make your eating a lifestyle. if your eating is a fad, then you won't stick to it. choose a healthy lifestyle and you will be healthy for life.

cheering you ALL on!
Jane

Replies

• Thanks for the post. I used to stick to low - no carb diets until my husband assured me that eating low calorie healthy foods was better for me in the long run. I finally took his word for it and am SOO glad that I did. Even thought he gave me that great idea I watch him eat all the greasy yummy food I used too. Maybe someday he will be interested in doing this with me! I love all your posts by the way..they are always so helpful!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member

to have energy, you must have good carbs. the more color it has, the better for you it is.

Hi Jane,

Any idea about the nutritional value of black rice? It's more colourful!!

I bought some from an asian supermarket, so the packet has little info! It's tasty and makes a more interesting asian prawn salad.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Great post!

I just want to point out, though, that "brown bread" and "whole wheat bread" are two different things. All breads are made with wheat (even the white stuff), but only whole wheat is really whole wheat. Some are made to look like whole wheat but are really white bread with caramel coloring added. If it doesn't say the word "Whole" before the wheat, it's not really healthier. :smile:
  • Great post!

I just want to point out, though, that "brown bread" and "whole wheat bread" are two different things. All breads are made with wheat (even the white stuff), but only whole wheat is really whole wheat. Some are made to look like whole wheat but are really white bread with caramel coloring added. If it doesn't say the word "Whole" before the wheat, it's not really healthier. :smile:

VERY true. label reading is VERY important. esp in the bread isle. thank you for this info.

• to have energy, you must have good carbs. the more color it has, the better for you it is.

Hi Jane,

Any idea about the nutritional value of black rice? It's more colourful!!

I bought some from an asian supermarket, so the packet has little info! It's tasty and makes a more interesting asian prawn salad.
    i don't have any idea. have you googled it to see what you can find. depending on what it is colored with, it may be just white rice. kinda like the basil pasta that is white pasta with a touch of basil to make it green. not healthy, but colorful. education is the key. reading labels and the internet help a ton. (keep in mind that opinions are just that, one person's thought and not fact.) read and filter. you will find that there are lots of opinions on all topics. do what works best for you and your body.
This discussion has been closed.