So we just bought an entire crate full of strawberries...

Options
for 5 bucks. Now what do i do with it?
Does anyone have like, ideas for smoothies and stuffs like that?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10385304_684313688302886_5486373122062775500_n.jpg

This is of course a crazy amount. We also have an overload on cherry and blueberry vanilla yoghurt. And stracciatella quark ha.

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Make jam! It's also rhubarb season, so strawberry rhubarb jam is a pretty good, fairly low calorie jam (since neither strawberries nor rhubarb have much in the way of calories, and the strawberries already have a lot of sweetness).

Freezing them for later on in the summer is also great, so you can have them later. I used all my frozen strawberries on angel food cake. Angel food cake is pretty low calorie for cake, and also delicious.

Through really, looking at your picture, between freezing some, eating plain strawberries, putting them in smoothies, and/or baking, those would be gone in days at my house.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Homemade strawberry ice cream or cheesecake. :) Mmmm! (Frozen into small portions so I can have some within my calories). :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You're lucky
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    To make them last longer while you decide what to do, rinse them in 1 part white vinegar to 10 parts water (I usually do about 1/4 to 1/3 cup vinegar then fill the measuring cup all the way up to the top past the 2 cup mark). I let them soak for a minute or so then rinse them really good. Helps them last longer!

ETA: this method helps me make a giant bucket of them last close to 2 weeks. I eat a TON every day but its usually just me so this helps me portion them out.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    for 5 bucks. Now what do i do with it?
    Does anyone have like, ideas for smoothies and stuffs like that?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10385304_684313688302886_5486373122062775500_n.jpg

This is of course a crazy amount. We also have an overload on cherry and blueberry vanilla yoghurt. And stracciatella quark ha.
    First of all, they freeze really well so determine how much you can use right now, and slice and freeze the rest till you are ready to use them.
    If you have a juicer, you can juice them into anything, or just blend them whole into yogert. with a banana, blueberries, pineapple juice, apple juice, whatever you like!
    You can make jams, jellies, pies, popovers, tarts, whatever you want. :) Love strawberries sliced and topped with whipped cream.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pancakes and tarts!
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Jam for sure and then freeze some.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Send some my way! :D
    Failing that make jam. Happy eating :)
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Mash some of em' up with banana & coconut & some coconut water freeze on a stick---dip in chocolate sauce or add dark chocolate chips or carob and refreeze--then eat!!!!!! And invite me over :)
  • ShoreKid
    ShoreKid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Toss them in your salad! One of my favorite lunch salads is spinach, walnuts, strawberries, goat or feta cheese crumbles with balsamic vinaigrette. You can also make a salsa of strawberries, mangoes, cilantro, red onion and lime juice. Serve it with tortilla chip or over fish or chicken. Strawberries are the bomb! I'm so jealous you bought a crate for only $5. I thought I got a deal at target today because a pint was $2.50...sigh. Enjoy!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I will come over and help you eat them!!!! :love:
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Make jam. Simple stuff.
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    strawberry parfait--with protein rich greek yogurt & favorite toppings...coconut, granola, blueberries, nuts/seeds or..

with ICE CREAM< heat up some berries with a little water & sugar to make syrup Strawberry Sunday!!! Or Hot fudge with berries...

Make extra syrup or compote and pour over healthy French toast, corn meal pancakes or multi grain waffles.....

Mix with fresh Ricotta cheese and put in a crepe, cinnamon sugar :) or/and nutella YUM

I really need to help you put those berries to quick and delish use :)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Freeze them! They make a refreshing treat for the summertime.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Whoa, those look like the small-farm grown ones. The strawberries are smaller but taste much better. A box like that tends to run $20-$28 where I'm at. How'd you get it for only 5 freakin' bucks? I'm jealous. Keep half in your fridge to munch on as snacks and freeze the other half. They are small which is perfect to drop in the blender for smoothie or protein shakes.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    If you want a topping over ice cream or cake, slice up some strawberries, sprinkle some sugar over them in a bowl, cover and let them sit on the counter for a couple hours. The sugar draws out the strawberry juices and it becomes a wonderful, raw, chunky sauce. Yum!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Make fruit leather or dry the strawberries, and add to cereals or oatmeal.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Jealous! I love strawberries, just as they are.

Definitely jam some, homemade jam is lovely. Last year, I made some strawberry and mint curd (googled a recipe) that was not difficult, and tasted amazing.

To make them last longer while you decide what to do, rinse them in 1 part white vinegar to 10 parts water (I usually do about 1/4 to 1/3 cup vinegar then fill the measuring cup all the way up to the top past the 2 cup mark). I let them soak for a minute or so then rinse them really good. Helps them last longer!

ETA: this method helps me make a giant bucket of them last close to 2 weeks. I eat a TON every day but its usually just me so this helps me portion them out.
    Ooh, did not know this trick, thanks!
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    EAT THEM!

for every meal until they are gone!

This???????????? I love strawberries