Dressing alternatives

Options
I am seeking suggestions for alterntatives to a healthier dressing to use on my salads. My all time favorite is Ranch dressing. I tend to favor the creamy dressings. This really eats up my calories/fat for the day. I don't like any type of vinegrette dressings. I will do italian dressings from time-to-time.

I hear a lot of low fat/low cal dressings are loaded with sugars and bad for you ingredients.

Does anyone have any great ideas, or possible home made recipes they are willing to share?

Replies

• cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use Salsa's they are super low and they have body (helps dress it up and adds other textures and taste) Like White Corn and Black Bean Salsa (Walmart brand) and there are MANY different ones, so check those out in the Salsa isle of your store. I find more of them at Walmart for a very reasonable price too.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I use salsa. Also, plain old extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Stop buying pre-made dressings.

1. MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE 1 T. olive oil + 1 T. GOOD (not cheap, it will taste bad) balsamic vinegar add freshly ground black pepper (yes, you need the pepper). Honestly I don't even need to have the oil when I'm using a good balsamic. mmmmmmm. If you have a Baker and Olive store near you, the Traditional Balsamic is wonderful, and they have a million other flavors you can try too. Yes, expensive, but worth it. Life is short. A big bottle of balsamic lasts a LOOOOONG TIME. Often street fairs have vendors sampling and selling balsamics.

2. 1 T olive oil + juice of fresh lemon, lime, or orange (maybe even grapefruit). Microwave your fruit 20 seconds, roll it HARD on the counter to maximize the juice; cut & ream with a fork or reamer. ADD FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER.

3. Oil + Red wine vinegar + pepper

4. Try other oils and other vinegars - almond, walnut, sesame . . . visit your local kitchen store.

Just google salad dressings. It is seriously so easy to make your own. Don't buy that garbage from the stores.

Stop buying pre-made dressings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    This dressing is SOOOO GOOD.

(The salad kicks *kitten* too -- save time by using shredded rotisserie chicken)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-chicken-corn-spinach-salad-50400000121907/
  • halfpintpeggy
    halfpintpeggy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing is also my favorite! Here's how I make a lo cal version. I take fat free or low fat yogurt & mix it with a packet of the dry Ranch dressing seasoning. It's creamy, lo fat, lo cal, & yummy.
  • amwbox
    Options
    Best salad dressing evar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLXWn3mzAeA

Not sure its actually lower calorie, but its definately got more wholesome ingredients than the stuff you'd buy with all the preservatives and such.
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    WOW---thanks everyone for taking the time to share!!
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I put ginger dressing on my salad from the Japanese place that is close by me. I love it!
  • momsfavoritechild
    Options
    I do LOVE ginger! I will have to check it out
  • sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Options
    I use salsa or I create a hybrid "dressing." Today, for example I mixed two tablespoons of fat free mayo with one tablespoon of Caesar Light dressing and a teaspoon of sweet honey mustard. Not mustard dressing but real mustard. I mix it all up and yum.

I eat salads three times a day. I'm obsessed with salads.
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I slice up 1/4 or 1/2 of an avocado and put that on my salad instead of dressing. Healthy fats (which I plan for in my pre-logging), it's creamy and good for you.
  • momsfavoritechild
    Options

Not sure its actually lower calorie, but its definately got more wholesome ingredients than the stuff you'd buy with all the preservatives and such.

Thanks for this site. Looks like a lot of good ideas will have to review them
  • amwbox
    Options

Chef John is fantastic. Check out his Chicken Kiev recipe if you want something for a special occasion. I've used it half a dozen times and its always perfect:

IMG_4769.JPG
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    I slice up 1/4 or 1/2 of an avocado and put that on my salad instead of dressing. Healthy fats (which I plan for in my pre-logging), it's creamy and good for you.

I have been thinking about using avocado to make a dressing. Use it and some seasonings and blend it. I can't have most salad dressings because I can't have vinegar, citrus juice, buttermilk, or many other ingredients. But I miss my salads!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I like Ken's Lighter Options dressing. Taste full flavor, but their macros are a lot smaller. My favorites are their parmesan peppercorn, and balsamic vinaigrette.
    Dressing wise, you can also make your own. Plenty of recipes online.
    There is a "ranch" dip I found on a channel I like to follow for recipe ideas. I'm not vegan, but her stuff looks good! She has an imitation ranch one as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK4KXaGUCt4
  • LaurenBrooke1843
    LaurenBrooke1843 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar with 3 tbsp salsa. Yummy 10 calorie dressing :)
  • momsfavoritechild
    Options

Chef John is fantastic. Check out his Chicken Kiev recipe if you want something for a special occasion. I've used it half a dozen times and its always perfect:

IMG_4769.JPG

This looks delish!! Thanks for taking the time to share this with me!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Salsa is my fave. I've also used Greek yogurt with my herbs / spices stirred in.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    olive oil and lemon juice.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Salsa does taste good as a dressing!!! Also I like fat free Italian...I try to stay away from Ranch (I love it too but even the fat free tastes nasty to me) good luck in finding the right dressing for you!!