FitBit "Calories Remaining" Doesnt Add Up???

Options
Ayla121
Ayla121 Posts: 21 Member
Hi everyone. Ive been using my FitBit for 6 months now and I love it! However, I noticed that its been off... at least I think it is.

I have it set so that Im in a deficit of -1000 / day. The FitBit automatically adjusts the "calories remaining" based on my activity. For example, if FitBit says Ive burned 2300 calories and Ive only eaten 1100, itll tell me I have 200 calories remaining. 2300 - (1100 eaten, plus the 200 remaining) = -1000 Deficit. But lately its been saying Im over my calories when Im clearly not. Like yesterday, I burned 2455. I ate 1200. That would give me a deficit of 1255. But its telling me im 630 calories over my daily limit. Am I not understanding something here? Is my Fitbit broken?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't understand FitBit math all the time either. Have you asked this is the FitBit group? They have some crazy helpful people over there... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    That's because the fitbit doesn't do a 24 day, it calculates your calories remaining based on what you have eaten and burned at that point in time. That means that as the day progresses, it adds more calories as your calorie burn goes up. Even lying on the sofa reading changes the calorie burn for the day on my fitbit as it adds my BMR, which then gives me more food to eat.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That is so annoying. I had to unsync fitbit because I couldn't stand the changing goals. I would wake up the next morning and be in the red.

I think when I get closer to my goal, I will use fitbit to help me calculate my TDEE, but I won't sync MFP and fitbit again.