Question for those who have done p90x

Options
I am considering starting p90x again, I have done it once before, but did not lose any weight doing it. Granted, I was in healthy weight range and felt great and definitely toned up, but this time, I have more weight to lose and I am hesitant in doing it because I don't want it to stall my weight loss. I know that must sound kind of ridiculous, since it is a fitness program geared towards being healthier and fit, but I really want to get my weight down as well. What were your experiences with doing p90x, and did you follow the nutrition plan, or not? Thanks!

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that 150lbs toned looks better than 140lbs flabby. So even if you only lose SOME weight it's worth it to be TONED and HEALTHY :D

I'm starting the 30 day shred and looking forward to it, P90X will be after that.
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have done several of the Beachbody workouts and I NEVER use the nutrition plan since I count calories.
    How closely did you follow the workout program the last time and how long ago did you do it?
    If you are eating within range and you follow the program you should see weightloss results, even if not excessive amounts or as quickly as possible.
    But, you will definitely see toning and definition too.

If you are looking for more calorie burn though you might try a more cardio focused workout. P90X is more all around, so it's not straight cardio.
    Just a suggestion :)
    Good luck!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I did p90x and lost 20 lbs, I did 1 full round and part of a second. Did you do classic or lean? I did lean because it has a bit more cardio in it. I did not follow their nutrition plan either, I followed MFP. You can see my before and after 90 day pictures in my profile.
    It made a huge difference for me!
    Good Luck!
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone can lose weight if they burn more calories then the take in on a daily basis. Start with your calories burned at rest (BMR) and stay in that range when you consume your calories. Remember the lighter you are, the less calories you will burn so you will need to work harder to lose additional weight and hence eat less. Drink water to help curb your apetite and eat more low calorie fresh fruits and veggies on a daily basis.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe Insanity might be the right workout this time around. It's focus is cardio intervals with strength mixed in. It's a great program and really hard. I lost 1/2 and inch on my waist in the first 2 weeks, no joke. I did use the nutrition as a guide and it really is a good source for ideas on how to eat.

Did you do the Classic or the Lean program when you did P90X the first time? If you did the Classic, maybe this time do the lean?
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did the classic version last time, in the end of 2008-2009. I did not follow the nutrition guide and had not found MFP, so I could have not been eating as well as I should have been. I think I am going to follow the classic, my husband started it yesterday, and try to go running a couple times a week as well.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I too am a P90x grad and I did not follow the nutrition guide although I did clean up my diet. I lost 24 pounds in the first round of the X. Now I am doing Insanity and I am on week seven... weight loss has been much slower with this program although I will be able to tell you EXACTLY in about three week :P Good luck! If you have any question just send me a message.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    The important thing to remember is that the calorie guidelines with P90X are not for weightloss since that program isn't a weight loss program. I am starting round 1 tonight of Classic and plan on carrying on as I have been here and adding a whey protein drink after the workout and that's IT. I may have to adjust up on the calories if I stall in losing but I am not too worried.

We have a thread started here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/131000-p90x-november-1-bring-it

This was the November 1 P90X thread, although I am not officially starting till tonight. Also I am on team beachbody as karenborter if you are there add me :)