What do you do when you get mood swings?

Options
sissiluv
sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
I don't think this is because of my hypoglycemia. It could be my depression. I don't know, and don't really care I just want it to stop. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for handling mood swings? Thank you.

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I don't do the same thing every time. I mix it up. I have a number of tools I use and seem to rotate through them.

First of all it is important for me to maintain my stability. I think it was easier for me to do this when I was a young mom because I believed that I had no choice. My children had to have stability and consistency and I believed that choosing to bring them into the world meant that it was a requirement that I take care of me. They have no choices regarding how stable I am, but I do.

Maintenance for me:
    1) Take time to something every day, ie. bubble bath, walk, gardening, spending time with girlfriends, and just having quiet self-reection time.
    2) get help when you need it. If you seek help and don't find it, don't give up, look at all your options.
    3) avoid excess, ie. food, wine, computer time, tv, work, etc.
    4) eat when you need to, drink water, rest, enjoy sex, get enough sleep and move your body.

My tools for when I'm down:
    1) Write. Sometimes I list 100 things I am grateful for. Sometimes I complain. Sometimes I write a story to reframe my experience. If my writing isn't working then I change my writing approach and usually if I keep going, I eventually feel better. Sometimes I keep what I write and re-reading it helps me. Sometimes it's therapeutic to burn it. Whatever works.
    2) run or walk outside.
    3) talk to a friend.
    4) if I can afford to, I let myself wallow in self pity.
    5) do something that distracts me such as a movie.
    6) retail therapy:)
    7) make plans.. Ie. workout plans, knitting plans, menu plans etc.
    8) read a sad story.
    9) watch a funny tv show.
    10) sometimes I just tell myself that it's hormonal, it's normal, it will pass, and there's no need to worry or imagine the worse.
    11) crochet something beautiful or draw a picture.
    12) lie in the sun, do some gardening or have a hot shower. Self care.
    13) cry.
    14) play Vivaldi, four seasons.
    15) nap.
    16) pretend to be a robot and just go through the actions of the day, ignoring my negative thoughts.
    17) pay attention to your thoughts, think of ways to change them. Ie. "I really can't do this, I'm useless" changes to, "I have the aptitude do this ten times perfectly"