Knee Strengthening

Options
Does anyone have any ideas on how to strengthen your knees? I stretch before and after my workouts, but for some reason my left knee seems to tighten on me alot. I do alot of sitting during the day and I've started flexing my foot to help keep the muscle looser, but I'm still having trouble when bending the knee. Especially across the top. I've gone to the doctor who says there's nothing wrong with the knee and maybe I should try physical therapy. Well, I can do that at home. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Replies

• daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I spent a year in physical therapy after a knee injury and two surgeries. Just going to physical therapy one time can help give you better exercises and stretches to help with the pain/develop muscle.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Squats. Start with your bodyweight and go slow, going as low as possible. Just put your feet slightly wider than shoulder width, feet pointing out slightly, then hold your arms out in front of you and lower yourself as far as possible. They'll probably hurt at first, but they will strengthen your entire lower body, joints included. make sure to warm up thoroughly, especially the first few times you do it. If you feel a dull or achy pain, then don't worry about it. If you feel any shooting pains or "looseness" in your joints, don't go as low.
  • lainey137
    Options
    If you have a trampoline stand in the middle of the trampoline on one foot and get someone to throw a ball to you several times- catch and throw back without putting your second foot down- repeat on other foot.
    If you have a wiifit- then do the yoga and balance games- every day.
    If you have access to a swimming pool then 'run' in the water without touching the bottom.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to have issues with my knee and elbow joins. A friend recommended taking glucosamine condroitin supplements and gelatin, and within a couple weeks my joint issues disappeared. I get the glucosamine condroitin from puritan.com and just unflavored knox gelatin from the store (which I mix with water, juice, or protein shakes).
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with "ganesha303." If the Dr. says that there is nothing wrong with it, start with some supplements. Then if that doesn't make enough difference try the physical therapy.

I'm having knee issues too (with my right knee) and that is what I'm gonna try.