working from home - gaining weight! HELP

Options
I recently started working from home and have put on 10 pounds! I thought this would be so great giving me more time to work out. I seem to be lazier and eating more!

Any help???? Advice???/

Replies

• deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    quit being lazy and stop eating more.

::shrug::

It's just like work... MAKE time to work out, PLAN your meals...

HTH... GL.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I can totally see how that would happen! On the rare days I'm home all day, I find myself mindlessly nimbling and hanging around the kitchen. (Just as I do in the afternoons/evenings after getting home from work!) Sigh. I don't know how you can "deal with" this sort of thing, but I would try to schedule out a tighter regime (with specific eating times and workout times). It'll be tough to be really disciplined with it though.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    the biggest thing for me is to make sure there is no junk food in the house. My will power for temptation is zero... Also, still set your alarm and wake up like you did when you left the house for work.. And plan to work-out like you would have to plan to attend a a meeting. It takes alot of discipline to work at home. You can do it though!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am a stay-at-home-mom. I have lost all my weight perfectly fine. You need to throw away any junk in your home if you have no self control. Start snacking on vegetables! Popcorn even without butter. 20 calories for a cup of it with what I use. Every night I put in my food diary what I am eating the next day. Sometimes I change it if I decide to have a different snack, but it's a general idea on what I'm going to eat and how many calories I am going to consume.
  • janamuma
    Options
    :happy: Thank you! It's the support and comments like this that really do help. I appreciate it!!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It is a very difficult problem. I know from first hand experience. You should keep a water bottle handy and a treadmill. LOL You will have to force yourself to use your "won't power". Above all, do not allow high calorie junk food snacks in your house. Have lots of baby carrots around.

It takes a certain type of person to be able to motivate themselves in this situation. I am not that type of person, unfortunately. It takes a great deal of self control to succeed. I have found that when I am really hungry and shouldn't be, if I do something strenuous and drink some water it helps kill the urge.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been working at home for 3 years, so I can totally relate. My office used to be right across the hallway from the kitchen. Then we moved, and now it's as far away from the kitchen as I can get in our new house. That helps a little. The other thing is that I know what my triggers are. I can't keep any junk food in the house. Not even the things I could use to bake some goodies, because I will if there aren't any other options!

Something fun I just started doing is using a balance ball instead of my ergonomic chair. It keeps me very mindful of my posture, and since I'm alone, I don't have to worry about how I look! :) My back and tummy muscles feel so great. If you decide to do this, I would recommend spending a little more on a good quality ball. I bought a cheepie and have to reinflate it a couple times a week.

I completely agree with the poster who said to set your alarm like you would if you were actually commuting to work. Get ready like you normally would. I have to keep a schedule, or I would do chores right thru my workout time. That's really helped a lot. And you feel better about yourself if you get all cleaned up and don't wear your jammies while working.

Good luck to you!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been working from home for the last 2 and a half years. I get serious with mfp this january BECAUSE in my first year and a half I gained close to 15 lbs due in part to the sedentary nature of the workplace and easy access to the kitchen being that my office is right beside the kitchen.

Yeah, it's tough to be disciplined but once you get on yourself and make it a habit you'll realize that being set up to work from home as you are can actually make it a ton easier to get your act together because:
    A. nobody shows up at the workplace with cake, and cookies, and random lunch meetings, etc.
    B. you can stock your house with healthy foods and once well stocked you'll never need to go out to unhealthy places for lunch and eating fast food, etc.
    C. if you have a treadmill at your house, you could set up a plant of wood on it, or position a laptop on it in such a way that you can spend 1-2 hours of your day walking on the treadmill at low speeds while also getting your work done.

If you need any more pointers let me know, but once you take your physique and your time seriously you'll find that wfp really can help allot more than it can hinder.