Lifting

Options
So, my brother wants me to start lifting with him on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The only "lifting" I've ever done was in a few Body Pump classes that I took over a year ago. All I remember is that I dealt with light weights and many reps, but I forgot pretty much everything I did in that class. Lately, I've just been doing cardio, pilates, and yoga. The question now is: How does one lift for weight loss? I don't want to get into the gym and just stare at the weights. I also don't want to do what I THINK is right, and hurt myself. If anyone has any tips for a beginner or can point me in the direction of a credible website to read, that would be amaaaaazing! Thank you :)

Replies

• XgrandifloraX
    XgrandifloraX Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Never mind. I just found a post a few posts down that answers all my questions! haha But if anyone has anything else to add, please go right ahead!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Lifting with someone you are comfortable with is a great way to do strength training, so definitely take advantage of your brother while you have him!

Not sure which answer you saw, but I'd mainly suggest to find a good beginner strength program and follow it to the letter. Some good ones:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    all-pro beginner
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Curves

No matter which program you pick, pay close attention to the progression and de-load rules, because those are the keys to any strength program.

And make sure your brother's form is good, and hopefully your brother can do the same for you.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    don't be scared to ask your brother a ton of questions about form. He wants you to go with him. I'm so jealous (no lifting partner and I got to do things like roll of shame and drop and run sort of stuff).