Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Never eat after a big meal - would be my advice :-p
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    u can eat at any time just not to heavy meal b4 u go to bed

Why?

Unless you have digestive issues that cause things like heartburn or being too full makes you too uncomfortable to sleep, then it doesn't matter. You can have a heavy meal IN bed if you want to and then roll over and sleep. No big deal.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    I don't think time matters...it's WHAT you eat that matters at that time. (Big Mac and fries at 11pm or Lean meat and veggies)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I don't think time matters...it's WHAT you eat that matters at that time. (Big Mac and fries at 11pm or Lean meat and veggies)

:noway: nope. That doesn't matter either. My full pint of Talenti gelato at 11pm says neigh.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member

Calories are what matter when it comes to weight loss, that's really it. It doesn't matter if those 750 calories (or whatever it is) came from a big Mac or lean meat and veggies.

And to the op, as many have said, it doesn't matter what time you eat them. Again, that's when it comes to weight loss. You personally might feel better not eating before bed for other reasons though.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    I don't eat heavy meals right before bed because it would disturb my sleep. But if I stopped eating at 4PM I'd wake up ravenous in the middle of the night. I might have a light snack late in the day but that's it. As long as you count your calories the timing probably doesn't matter.
  • Athijade

Not even.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    sure you can. stop giving false infn
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member

not true.

also not true.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    I generally eat my dinner between 7:00 and 9:00 and then have a snack right before I go to sleep (sometime after 11:00 but before 3:00 a.m.) with my metformin. The only time I think you'd have to worry about having a heavy meal before bed is if you have acid reflux or another digestive issue.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    I guess it depends on your digestive system. if it is slow, then eat as early as you can so you can give time to the digestive system to do its job. It is also depends on what you eat, i.e. meat digests slower (5 hrs or so I was told...), veggies faster.....
    Bafta !
  • Athijade
    I guess it depends on your digestive system. if it is slow, then eat as early as you can so you can give time to the digestive system to do its job. It is also depends on what you eat, i.e. meat digests slower (5 hrs or so I was told...), veggies faster.....
    Bafta !

Again... no. Not unless you are talking about issues that could lead to heartburn or something.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    The key is NOT EATING after you've reached your calorie limit for the day. Time doesn't really matter, it's the total calories that do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Science says what time you eat or how often you eat a day doesn't matter for weight loss.

That being said, there is some evidence that eating a breakfast that includes protein helps stave off the munchies. So some people eat too much if they skip breakfast. Other folks find they are most comfortable eating 5 or six times a day. Some like one big meal with snacks. It is up to the individual what works best for them in staving off munchies and feelings of low blood sugar.

Finally, if you have problems with nighttime acid reflux you may need time between the last time you eat and when you lie down to sleep.

So, do what works best for you. I'm a breakfast skipping late night snacker but when I do stay within calorie limits I lose weight like clockwork.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Time your meals in such a way that helps adherence, energy and gym performance. Other than that, and as long as you do not have trouble sleeping if you eat late, it is personal preference.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Try and see what works for you.

Stopping a couple of hours before bed (I don't eat after 8) helps me just feel less bloated and not-nice.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    I think this is very personal and changes for everyone. For me its what I eat not when I eat. Your body will tell you if its unhappy :)
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    In regards to weightloss it doesn't matter, however, heavy meals are known to disrupt sleep patterns the same way alcohol and caffeine do so I you may want to eat a couple of hours before you go to sleep. However, this is only relevant if you are crazy like me and suffer with sleep problems/anxiety.