Food Labeling

Options
Hello everyone! I don't know if someone has posted a thread like this before, but I just wanted to share some of my knowledge with those of you out there that might be interested. I work in food manufacturing in Quality Assurance, and part of my job deals with labeling per the FDA guidelines (this is called the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21). I thought I'd start off with a few simple guidelines about food labeling, and if anyone out there has any more specific questions, feel free to send me a message. I'll do my best to answer it. Also, if there are any questions about how your food is processed, please, ask me those too.

Fat Free/Low Fat claims

• Fat Free: Less than 0.5g of fat per serving
• XX% Fat Free: Must also meet the low fat claim (below)
• Low Fat: 3g or less per serving; or 3g per 100g for a meal or main dish, and 30% of total calories or less
• Reduced Fat: 25% less fat than food it is being compared to
• Low Saturated Fat: 1g or less and 15% or less of calories from saturated fat
• Trans Fat Free: Less than 0.5g of trans fats per serving
• Light/Lite: 50% less fat or one-third fewer calories than the regular product
• Lean: Less than 10g of fat, 4.5g of saturated fat and 95mg of cholesterol per 100g of meat, poultry or seafood
• Extra Lean: Less than 5g of fat, 2g of saturated fat and 95mg of cholesterol per serving and per 100g of meat, poultry or seafood

Other claims:

• Low Cholesterol: 20mg or less per serving and 2g or less saturated fat per serving
• Cholesterol Free: Less than 2mg per serving and 2g or less saturated fat per serving
• Less Cholesterol: 25% or less than the food it is being compared to, and 2g or less saturated fat per serving
• Low calorie: 40 calories or less per serving
• Gluten free: Less than 20 ppm gluten or made with ingredients that are naturally gluten free (the 20 ppm guideline is in place because this is the most sensitive test we have in the market to test for gluten in food or on food contact surfaces. Also, clinical tests cite that a person with a gluten sensitivity must be exposed to at least 50 ppm for a reaction to occur.)

Spices/Bakery Products:

• If you ever see "spices" listed on the label, the product may include any of the following: Allspice, Anise, Basil, Bay leaves, Caraway seed, Cardamon, Celery seed, Chervil, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Cumin seed, Dill seed, Fennel seed, Fenugreek, Ginger, Horseradish, Mace, Marjoram, Mustard flour, Nutmeg, Oregano, Paprika, Parsley, Pepper, black; Pepper, white; Pepper, red; Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Star aniseed, Tarragon, Thyme, Turmeric.
• Paprika, turmeric, and saffron or other spices which are also colors, shall be declared as "spice and coloring" unless declared by their common or usual name.
• All spices are irradiated, unless they are organic.
• The tolerance of bakery products to be off of their decalred nutritional information is 20%. This means, you may get up to 20% more or 20% less of a brownie, cookie, cupcake, etc. and the food company hasn't done anything wrong. This guideline is set out by the NLEA (Nutritional Labeling Education Act).

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    • The tolerance of bakery products to be off of their decalred nutritional information is 20%. This means, you may get up to 20% more or 20% less of a brownie, cookie, cupcake, etc. and the food company hasn't done anything wrong. This guideline is set out by the NLEA (Nutritional Labeling Education Act).

Well *kitten*!