how do you guys put yourself on the....

Options
right track after slipping up
!?!?!?!

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You just do better next time. Slipping up once doesn't mean you have to keep doing it and it doesn't mean that everything you've done up until that point was pointless.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Banish the bad week from memory except to come up with a plan on what to do and what not to do. Just keep logging...
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You just do better next time. Slipping up once doesn't mean you have to keep doing it and it doesn't mean that everything you've done up until that point was pointless.

:heart: Exactly. Well said.
  • cpeacy
    cpeacy Posts: 27
    Options
    just pick yourself back up refocus and start again. measure your portions talk a walk meditate set a small goal for yourself.
    what ever you think will work for you.
  • Dhvana
    Dhvana Posts: 1
    Options
    The past two days have basically been a complete write-off for me in the worst possible ways (no exercise, bad eating choices, the usual). What I'm trying to do is make sure not to become discouraged, because I know they aren't the norm for me. The two weeks before these last two days, I had been doing great, and tomorrow, I can do great again as if the past two days never happened. The past two decades were the real setbacks. Two days are nothing compared to that.

Might not be much of a pep talk, but it helps me put things in perspective and not make these past two days feel like I've totally blown it all. I think it's the perspective that helps.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I do this:

I log my calories. Then I see how much I was over. Then I remind myself that I'm working with a 500 calorie deficit, so I look at the past few days and see just how many days of deficit I wiped out. For example, if I went over 500 calories, then I just wiped out today. If I went over 1000 calories, then I also wiped out yesterday. Once I know how many days I wiped out, then I just figure on reaching my goal that many days later.No biggie.

When viewed over a larger perspective, it really ends up being no biggie. I want to reach my goal, but not enough to agonize over a day or two.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do this:

I log my calories. Then I see how much I was over. Then I remind myself that I'm working with a 500 calorie deficit, so I look at the past few days and see just how many days of deficit I wiped out. For example, if I went over 500 calories, then I just wiped out today. If I went over 1000 calories, then I also wiped out yesterday. Once I know how many days I wiped out, then I just figure on reaching my goal that many days later.No biggie.

When viewed over a larger perspective, it really ends up being no biggie. I want to reach my goal, but not enough to agonize over a day or two.

wow, that is so smart!! great advice.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Most people use the next day to 'make up' for the the day they binged, as taking in very few Cals
    this is the wrong mentality, as you are making yourself deprived after a small binge, its a viscous cycle of guilt

The optimal mindset is a great relationship with food.
    If you slip up, do not downtalk yourself or give up on your goals,
    treat the next day as a normal day, and pick up like you never left off.

Don't change anything in the plan, try again, you will be unconsciously building willpower within.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If you trip- do you stop walking? Same philosophy.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Figure out what made you do it, and learn from it.

Start anew the very next day.

I went over my calories yesterday by well over 1000. I am not happy with myself about it, but today is a new day and I am back on track.

Good luck!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you trip- do you stop walking? Same philosophy.

I love this so much, it's perfect.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Stop & Reset ..... Think and Plan.. This is not something that you can just 'wing'
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Michael Caine in Batman"And if we fall Master what do we do?" So, get back up. Also, review the triggers which lead to your week and see if changing some simple habits will benefit you the following week. You could also grab a copy of Book of Habits by Duhigg, great reading and learning how you can change habits for the better. Best of luck.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    pick yourself up, brush yourself off, do better next time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just go back to doing what you were doing before like it never happened. Learning to forgive yourself is a really important part of weight loss.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    !?!?!?!
    I don't slip up. It's just life so some days are better than others. I never consider that I've slipped up or my plan is derailed because I'm living. So if I've made what I consider mistakes I learn from them and move on.
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Most people use the next day to 'make up' for the the day they binged, as taking in very few Cals
    this is the wrong mentality, as you are making yourself deprived after a small binge, its a viscous cycle of guilt

The optimal mindset is a great relationship with food.
    If you slip up, do not downtalk yourself or give up on your goals,
    treat the next day as a normal day, and pick up like you never left off.

Don't change anything in the plan, try again, you will be unconsciously building willpower within.

This is perfect! That is exactly what I do, just treat the next day like a normal day. If this is a lifetime change, then a day or two is nothing compared to a lifetime.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself on a diet. This is a journey for life. I will never stop eating certain things or drinking certain things, so if I have a bit more one day than is above my maintenance, I figure that it's just a day out of many years. I won't do the same thing again the next day, but recognise that there is no such thing as a 'bad' day...just one that might not be as helpful to weight loss as another. And then I go back and eat the way I have been which is helping me slowly but surely lose weight.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    !?!?!?!
    I never slip up. I occasionally experience less than optimal execution. I execute better the next day.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Forget this start over tomorrow stuff, start now. Go out and burn some off, you will feel better and make an instant impact to counter the indulgence. Don't ever stop logging especially on the "bad" days. You need that information and data to realize what it costs you in progress. I remember when I first started running and burned almost a 1000 calories on a great long run. I thought wow all that hard work and its still less than a Big Mac & fries. I haven't eaten either of those foods since.