Help! BMR 1,987???

Options
bunnyr
bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
I am allowed 1200 calories a day but I just checked my BMR after reading another blog and it is 1,987! How can by calories allowed be more than my BMR? Does anyone understand this? :smile:

Replies

• bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am allowed 1200 calories a day but I just checked my BMR after reading another blog and it is 1,987! How can by calories allowed be more than my BMR? Does anyone understand this? :smile:
  • Kaylie
    Kaylie Posts: 1
    Options
    allowed how many calories a day says whom?

i know my BMR is 1384.85
    and i like to have a daily intake of less than 500 calories, so I just add my exercise+bmr and subtract my intake. the more negative the number the better.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    huh?
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Isn't your BMR the amount of calories you burn just by living? So if your BMR is 1300 something, and you eat 1200, you should theoretically lose weight just by living, right?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Your Basal metabolic rate is what it takes to keep you alive. You didn't say what activity level you factored in to get that rate but the very lowest BMR is calculated to what it would take to keep you alive if all you did was lay in a bed all day. I'm thinking you don't do that, so 1200 calories would still give you at least a 700 calorie a day deficit.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. Technically my BMR says 1650, but MFP puts me on 1800, 1600, or 1350 calories a day depending on if I switch my activity level or goal.

Most people say not to dip below you BMR ever, but for those very overweight or obese it is not always a problem. The difference between 1200 and 1987 is a big difference though, maybe 1500 is more realistic? You don't want your body to go into starvation mode, but for the very big person, it takes a lot of calories just to sustain us, and it is okay from what I have heard to dip below.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I believe that's the amount of calories you can consume everyday to maintain your weight. You haven't much to lose so, don't do a 1000 calorie deficit. I'll bump a couple posts for you.
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump