Need Low-cal Healthy Snack Ideas

Options
Working from home now - I can only eat so many baby carrots!

Any other low-cal snack ideas to add variety?

I just quit sunflowerseeds! Was eating WAY to many of them.....ideas would be appreciated, from simple ready snacks to ones you have to prep.

THANK YOU:bigsmile:

Replies

• Jess814
    Options
    Special K does a fabulous job at having little snack bars and such at around 90 calories. Nabisco also has a lot of 100 calorie packs.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    -Pistachios (take longer to eat because you have to eat one at a time, relatively low calorie nut, healthy and delicious)
    -granny smith apple with a tbsp of natural peanut butter (the apple alone won't fill me up, so I need the fat and protein with it)
    -Fage greek yogurt with honey
    -celery with almond butter (variation to ants on a log)
    -Kind fruit and nut bar (if you're craving sweet, but relatively low glycemic index)
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great, and a good variety of fruit to go along with it. Greek yogurt is good too. Plain air popped popcorn is really low calorie, and even though it isn't really full of nutrients, if you don't add anything to it, it isn't really bad for you either, and it can fill you up.

When I first started I was just constantly needing to snack so I ate lots of carrots and apples, but my appetite has gotten a bit more under control, and I usually just eat a few nuts or something else with protein. Good luck!
  • janamuma
    Options
    THank you!!! Air popped popcorn is a great idea. Making a grocerly list from all of your replies. Very helpful....Thanks again
  • Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    -Air-popped popcorn ( 1 cup has approx 31cal)
    -Rice cakes (45-50 cal per cake)- lots of flavors to suit any snacking mood from sweet to savory - or the 90 cal snack packs
    -Jello Mousse Temptations (60 cal) the chocolate indulgence is really good for a sweet fix
    -veggies
    Sugar snap peas (40 cal per cup/85g)
    Cucumber (45 cal per approx 8" cucumber)
    -cheese strings (60 cal each)-fun to eat if you peel them plus it takes longer to eat this way
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love the 100 cal packs - treats and the Emerald almonds - portion control helps me. I also enjoy the Lundberg brown rice cake with a schmear of peanut butter (or almond) or hummus. Honeycrisp apples are in season and if you have not tried them - YUMMO! 100 calorie mini bags of microwave popcorn - or air pop your own. 90 calorie Fiber one peanut butter bars. the Fage 0% yorgurt is GREAT with fruit and honey. No sugar added applesauce cups - or the Jello Mousse Temptations for a sweet treat.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My faves are:

Cottage Cheese
    Almonds
    Apple
    Grapes
    Rolled up turkey slices
    Apricots
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    CHERRIOS
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Rice cakes with Laughing Cow cheese
    hard boiled eggs
    Yoplait Source Dessert yogurts - yummy and only 35 cals
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    How low calorie are we talking about?

-Fiber One bars are pretty tasty
    -Vitatops muffins are really good
    -Almonds and dried cherries
    -I also love sugar snap peas!
    -I like to cook beets (boiled or baked), slice them, and add some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I keep it in the fridge and it's really good for snacking!
    -Strawberries and spinach salad
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat a Fiber One yogurt: 50 cals and 5g of fiber! I like to mix it w/ a cup of frozen raspberries for an extra 8g of fiber: YUMMY!

Babybel Lite cheese: 50 cals, 6g protein. Fruit is always good, too. I love apple slices or peaches.

Laughing Cow light swiss (35 cals a wedge) on pretzel crisps (5 are about 50 calories) are an all-time fav. :)
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love laughing cow cheese, and sliced turkey sandwich meat
  • Joscelle
    Options
    Per the other posters, Laughing Cow Light Wedges (many flavors) and Wasa Crisp Bread - very filling.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    ~*~ BUMP ~*~

I've been at MFP for about 6 weeks now. The first few weeks were easy because I was "high on life". Now, it's getting real and I'm finding my problematic desire to just eat and eat and eat returning. I'm not hungry -- I eat my meals (trust me! LOL) It's not really an emotional thing. I think it's a bored thing. Or maybe an oral thing, like a smoker. Gum is great, to a certain extent, but sometimes I crave the hand-to-mouth fidgeting. And I get tired of mint.

Anyway, this thread came up when I did a search on the words "air snack" because I am looking for something in addition to gum to satisfy that "oral craving" without a calorie load.

For that goal, I like the suggestion of pistachio nuts, because you have to crack each one and can't go too fast. It's a very "busy" food.

More suggestions for "busy food" "air snacks"? THANK YOU!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite snacks is a fruit and yogurt combo.

I take 1/2 c. fat free plain yogurt and either sweeten it with splenda or agave nectar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and top it with 1/2 c. frozen berries and a sprinkle of slivered almonds. I make 3 of these up a week and grab them for a quick snack when i get the munchies. The berries end up melting and give of a great syrupy juice and the almonds add great crunch!