Do you count non-starchy vegetables in food diary

Options
2»

Replies

• RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ill start counting all vegetables from today onwards :)
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic, so I'm closely monitoring my carbs, however my nutritionist said I don't need to count carbs for non-starchy vegetables due to their high fiber content.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic, so I'm closely monitoring my carbs, however my nutritionist said I don't need to count carbs for non-starchy vegetables due to their high fiber content.

Oh, I see. As to this, I believe there are specific net carb entries that people who monitor their carbs for those purposes have put in the database. You might want to find a type II group to ask about that, as I can see why there'd be additional confusion from logging under those circumstances. You probably could also just save to your personal foods (NOT the main database) vegetables that you eat a lot with the carb number replaced with a zero.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I count everything that I eat in my diary, since they have calories.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Better to, I guess.

I tend to leave out coffee and tea. But not milk and sugar, if you see what I mean.

That said, veggies can have calories. Not much, but for example there's about 90 calories in a medium stalk of broccoli.

Saying that veggies " can " have calories implies that there are veggies that have none, which is not true. All veggies , or better yet...all food has calories.
    I think what we log and what not depends on us and the smart choices we make in regard to our food intake. I log 99% of what I eat ( the 1 % is from the stuff I forget). I log all vegetables & fruit ( I eat fruit to a lesser degree, but I love veggies ), because I often eat 350-500 plus calories worth of them a day. I also log herbs and spices and it is not unusual for me to add maybe 70-100 calories to my count. If I would not log vegetables and condiments I would never have lost a pound, because it would have used up my deficit.
    I do however understand why some people ask, because so many eat next to no vegetables or fruit that not logging the 15 calories from the two lettuce leaves on the hamburger, or the half cup of spinach makes really no difference .
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yes. Not to be snarky or anything...but I consider that the entire point of this website, to count ALL of my food calories.

The only things I do not count:

pepper
    vanilla
    cinnamon
    most ground spices, actually
    chewing gum
    one fish oil capsule per day
    toothpaste ;-)

That's it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This is not Weight Watchers. You need to count everything.
  • ninavalentine
    ninavalentine Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I don't count them by design, although I agree with those who say that's the whole point of the diary. But going into this I hated vegetables and I knew if I had to subtract their value from my total calories (which seemed soooo low at the time), I would never eat them. So I created personal foods for non starchy veggies (spinach, lettuce, broccoli, etc.), counted their calories as 0, but added nutritional information so I could keep track of that.

I didn't really know what I was doing at the time but it has worked well for me. I do eat (and enjoy) veggies now and I don't worry about how many I eat and it hasn't seemed to hurt me up to this point. In fact, it has helped a great deal to keep me full and satisfied, and to get the vitamins I need. I can understand why others may think it's not the way to go, but in my situation I think it's been one key to my success so far. Whatever works ...

However -- I'm currently at a plateau and I might need to rethink this strategy. Ugh.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes, I even count cucumbers.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Yes. They can have a surprising amount of protein and fiber for not many calories.