Losing weight for a 15yo boy?

Options
Hi!

My brother and I are trying to lose weight together, and since he doesn't know much about dieting, etc, I'm trying to help him. Since I'm a female, I realize that his specific needs may differ a bit from mine (calorie intake, certain vitamins, etc). However, my main question is about exercise. It's only natural for a teen entering his junior year in high school want to be fit, ie have defined muscles. But, my brother has quite a bit of weight to lose as well. I realize that he can turn his fat into muscles, but I don't think he's that committed to shaping his muscles.

My question is: in your opinion, is it better for a teenage boy to just try and lose weight, or try to build muscles at the same time? I'm trying to see which option is the best for him, so I'm sorry if the question comes off as a bit silly.

Also: would it be okay for him and I to have the same meals/food plan, and just give him bigger portions according to his calorie intake? (assuming he's not going to bodybuild).

Thank you!

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    direct him to the site www.sparkteens.com - it's an "under 18" version of this site (not affiliated though, it's run by the Sparkpeople folks, another weight loss/calorie counting site), and geared toward appropriate weight loss for someone who is still growing physically and the different needs of that age set. He'll find a lot better info that he can access for himself there, plus he'll be able to get answers to questions that he may have that he might not want to ask you or have you ask here on his behalf.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My brother and I are trying to lose weight together, and since he doesn't know much about dieting, etc, I'm trying to help him. Since I'm a female, I realize that his specific needs may differ a bit from mine (calorie intake, certain vitamins, etc). However, my main question is about exercise. It's only natural for a teen entering his junior year in high school want to be fit, ie have defined muscles. But, my brother has quite a bit of weight to lose as well. I realize that he can turn his fat into muscles, but I don't think he's that committed to shaping his muscles.

My question is: in your opinion, is it better for a teenage boy to just try and lose weight, or try to build muscles at the same time? I'm trying to see which option is the best for him, so I'm sorry if the question comes off as a bit silly.

Also: would it be okay for him and I to have the same meals/food plan, and just give him bigger portions according to his calorie intake? (assuming he's not going to bodybuild).

Thank you!

Hi there. My nephew was the same way from early childhood until the age of 15. Then, finally, he started defying the grandparents' and parents' gravy and grease packed meal choices, and worked himself down a respectable 50 lbs within a year or so. Portion control and leaner meals were a big part of his success. Weight lifting (there was a weight room at his high school) and walking helped him a lot, too. Running wasn't an option, due to his size, though. He looked great at his graduation.
    He's attending college now, and still training. He'll be 19 this year, and his idea is, to start power lifting in about 2-3 years. Don't be confused about the term 'bodybuilding'. You can build any body, not just the enormous competition size variety.... The general approach to training and nutrition are very much the same. Check out bodybuilding.com. They have a section for teen athletes. And they also have a lot that might interest you, too.
    The funny thing about my nephew's fitness journey, though, he didn't need to get pushed, he allowed himself to get sucked into it. In a really good way. I helped him out a bit, and with his mother's permission, I took him shopping for age-appropriate multi vitamins and a large tub of protein powder. His mom understands and supports his quest, and she makes sure that there is enough wiggle room in his college food allowance for his supplements. Christmas shopping for him is a lot easier now, too...lol

Good luck!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A 30min - hour walk every day, lifting 3-4 times a week on a structured plan and he should be good to go, assuming he's not actively gaining weight at the moment. Teenage boys are in about the best position to lose weight and build a bit of muscle compared to anyone else, owing to the testosterone production at that stage.

Keep in mind sustainable weightloss shouldn't much exceed 2lbs, if at all. If he doesn't see any change within 4 weeks or so, then think about cutting down food a bit.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I guess my question would be how overweight is he? A growing boy may not need to lose weight, but rather just maintain as he grows. He could grow into his weight in a year or two.

That said, exercise should be a part of any plan. Focus on things he finds fun - sports, games, etc. weight lifting is great but if he doesn't enjoy it he won't stick with it.
  • lardbut1960
    lardbut1960 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Motivation is the issue, not what order to do stuff in. I think once he starts to lose weight and look differently he'll begin to think about looking like Arnie, he's 15 after all, once he looks better, he'll likely want to look great.

If he is motivated, let hid do what he wants to do, if he wants to do both let him, if he needs encouragement just to loose weight, trying to get him to work out will only frustrate the both of you and he'll likely quit.

My advice, give him time to win small battles
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    direct him to the site www.sparkteens.com - it's an "under 18" version of this site (not affiliated though, it's run by the Sparkpeople folks, another weight loss/calorie counting site), and geared toward appropriate weight loss for someone who is still growing physically and the different needs of that age set. He'll find a lot better info that he can access for himself there, plus he'll be able to get answers to questions that he may have that he might not want to ask you or have you ask here on his behalf.
    This is what I would do as well. He's more likely to make a fit healthy lifestyle a true lifestyle if he learns about it himself (and builds his own community).
  • navbiha
    navbiha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are all such great responses! Thank you all so much!