Push ups

2»

Replies

• Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Don't feel silly. I had to start against the wall, now I'm on knee ones. We all have to start somewhere.

^^This. We all gotta start somewhere. Perfect your form (and go easy on yourself) doing them on the wall. When that gets easy, move to inclines (hands on something sturdy like a coffee table, bench, cedar chest), then progress to kneelings. Before you know it, you'll get your first "real" pushup. No shame in going slow, but push yourself to get to that goal. You can DO it!

It's taken me a full month of daily (mixed exercises including 3x/wk lifting) to complete ONE perfect, deep full push up. But I DID it! Next goal--5 push ups!

Well done ???? awesome. Can't wait to get to that stage lol.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Just wondering if anyone else was a new starter to push ups? I've progressed to the table push ups now :) getting somewhere.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    I've been doing kneeling push ups for months without feeling any better able to do the full plank type push up. I think I'll try them against some surface higher than the floor and lower than the wall to see if I can get to what I think of as "real" push ups. I keep wondering what I'm doing wrong that I'm not seeming to build up to the real thing. Glad to hear others have not had success with this progression. Thanks for this post!
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Yeah a few people advised me to do the wall ones, then table and then straight into plank type push ups. So I'm gonna try it.
  • Luna_Llena
    Luna_Llena Posts: 15
    I think I got the correct technique, I just need to work on stamina.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plqMNS0EBM0
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    They are a great exercise even if you can't do them "properly". You can start out against a wall and then a bench if needed. Truth be told they are one of my favorite things to do. When I started my fitness change I couldn't do more than 10 straight now I have done as many as 600 in a day. Best of luck to you, you'll get where you want to be.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    I started "proper" push-ups this morning for Stage 1 of The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I thought I'd be ok as I'd been fine with chair and knee push-ups, but it was an absolute killer! I managed to do 2 sets of 15 though I had to take a short rest after each 5 otherwise I would never have got to the end... Going to keep plugging away, hopefully each time will be just a little easier.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Thanks all :) is that book any good?
  • redlionny
    redlionny Posts: 3 Member
    My trainer told me the way I usually do pushups (which is how most people do them) -- when you go down your elbows go to the side... really isn't as effective as having your elbows go down straight against your body b/c it works your triceps MUCH more than the other way (not sure i explained this well). First time she asked me to do this.. i couldn't do one. Not one. So she made me go down slowly (count of 3).. andn not push up (couldn't anyway). just 3 counts down. and then get up as I can to a push up position and again.. 3 counts down... face ends up flat on mat... and then get up again anyway you can to push up position. I did maybe 15 and was dying. dying. awful. But.... it's only been about 3 weeks.. and now I can do like 4 or 5 in a row -- actually push up in that position. I know it doesn't sound like much but those pushups are HARD and make a difference. so slowly i am getting better and increasing my upper body strenght.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    well she's right- it's a much more tricep oriented puhs up- but if you're goal is to hit your chest- who cares if you're getting great tricep activation??

need the right tool for the task- a hammer isn't bad because it can't place concrete. It's just the wrong tool.

Much like military/tricep oriented push ups are not better or worse than a wider push up that's designed to hit the pecs more.

But yes- the slow push up down is a great modification.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Funny howI just read this after I did a rep of them!

Agreed with the person who said on a table. I am currently changing my pushup technique. I usually max my pushups in the PT test but dont do them the way that most see the military do so I am teaching myself the correct form. I started on a counter, then a desk,now have an adjustable that I move down each week.

3 times a week I will do a set every 45 minutes at work and build on up. It is most def diff than the other way of pushups