I have NO IDEA why I am GAINING !! HELP!

Options
I cut out 1/2 liter of alcohol a day from my diet. ( I am a recovering alcoholic. I no longer drink)
I drink water constantly (I maybe have 3-4 energy drinks or diet sodas on the weekends when I am most busy)
I stopped eating like a cow after 5pm
And I have been exercising at least 3 times a week for at LEAST 15 minutes(I do ab work outs everyday. I am up to 2 sets 12 reps. I also do 10 minutes of P90x abs every "other" day. I have an active 4 and 8 yr old so I spent at least 30-60 cooking, cleaning, and running after her. I am up from 7am til about 9-10pm.

I have no idea how I GAINED a pound !!!! I Am so aggravated. I've been on this diet technically from 5/2/14 when I weighed in at about 151- 153. >< Is there something I am doing wrong??

I weigh everything except solids because I generally go by serving size.

No I am not pregnant.

Replies

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing people here are going to say is make sure you measure everything you log. Estimating is where people go wrong a lot.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and logging your calories accurately? Even with cutting out foods, if you're still eating more than your body needs, you will not lose weight.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If the exercise is a new thing, you may have gained water weight. If your logging is accurate, then it isn't fat, so don't sweat it. Drink some water, and keep logging and exercising.
  • curiouspeach
    curiouspeach Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're logging correctly ( - and I'd suggest getting a digital scales; cup measures are very inaccurate), it's probably water retention. You're consuming a lot of sodium, and processed foods - both things that can cause water retention.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight over time (assuming no variations in water weight) you are eating more that your body needs.

As i am sure you know, you can still gain weight eating so-called healthy foods. Track those calories. Fat loss is about (and always will be about) calories in vs calories out.

Eat less that your body needs, do some strength training to maintain muscle, and the fat will come off. No one can violate the law of thermodynamics.
  • torontoguy1097
    Options
    You do not mention that you are actually counting calories vs calories out. It isn't fun at first but it gets super easy. You think you are aware of what you put in your mouth but we always underestimate. All that being said a pound is more than likely water retention after a salty dinner. I know I am a guy but I can fluctuate 3-5 lbs in 48 hrs. Also exercise is great but it ultimately is calories in (eating) vs calories out (diet/exercise). I know far too many folks who pop a dvd in and expect wonders. I have lost going on 60 lbs in about 6-7 months walking and watching what I eat RELIGIOUSLY. Good Luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well it's great you have made lots of changes...for the better.

Exercise is for fitness and health...a calorie deficit is for weight loss.

As well new exercise will make you retain water for up to 4 weeks after starting.

That being said you have been here just under a month and lost 4lbs...which is pretty good..1lb a week...and to gain a pound is probably just water retention...but

I did look at your diary and your logging is pretty consistent from the 20th forward...except you don't weight your solids...

As well I see days where you are wayyyyyyy over due to a quick add of 1625 calories...and you do that a few more times.

Logging accurately means weighing solids and not using quick adds as you can never be sure those are accurate.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's likely water.

Either from extra exercising, or from a high sodium meal, or from ovulating or pms.

Try not to stress over one pound changes. You'll make yourself nuts.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    pregnant. congrats.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I measure EVERYTHING from cup to tablespoon
  • cheesevixen_staci
    Options
    pregnant. congrats.

I had 2 periods lasting 7 days last month.....doubtful....plus you actually have to have sex more than I do.

• alexagia
    alexagia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fluctuating by a pound or so is pretty normal. It all depends when you weigh yourself. Theres a high probability that it's just water weight and nothing to worry about.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You tend to go over your sodium frequently and you went way over your calories twice this week. I would work on those 2 things.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Measuring is not as accurate as a digital food scale for solid foods. See this for examples:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

The differences can be quite surprising.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that weight fluctuates up and down throughout the week and month due to various things, and it's totally normal. Could be water weight from new exercise or too much salt/not enough water, hormones, stress, whatever. One pound really isn't a big deal - my weight naturally fluctuates up and down at least 5 lbs during the month.

Track your measurements as well as weighing - the scale may be standing still or even showing a slight gain, but the tape will give you the true story.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's likely water.

Either from extra exercising, or from a high sodium meal, or from ovulating or pms.

Try not to stress over one pound changes. You'll make yourself nuts.

This.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    Options
    You tend to go over your sodium frequently and you went way over your calories twice this week. I would work on those 2 things.

That makes a lot of sense. Looking at my sodium alone I go way over, and I have had 4 cheat days that added up to about a pound. Thank you. This was very helpful.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

That makes a lot of sense. Looking at my sodium alone I go way over, and I have had 4 cheat days that added up to about a pound. Thank you. This was very helpful.
    timing is huge as welk. weighed in friday am and war up half pound even though i did good all week. waited till fri nite and was down 2 lbs which was more expected. did sat am again and still 2 down.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You don't log your fifteen minutes of ab exercises and eat back calories do you? While strengthening your core is great, it doesn't really burn the fat off like cardio does. I used to think that ten minutes of sit ups and crunches would make me go from flabby belly to six pack.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Measuring is not as accurate as a digital food scale for solid foods. See this for examples:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

The differences can be quite surprising.

For example, the mac & cheese we make says a serving is one cup. I had always measured out 1/2 cup before I got my digital scale and thought it was a nice amount. Then I got the scale and weighed the grams. And then I was a sad panda because that most certainly was not the same as 1/2 cup. I was probably eating 100 extra calories of mac and cheese without knowing it. That can add up!