pure protein bars

Options
d0v3r13
d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
gross. also, they seem to cause me severe pain in my intestines. i never used to have this problem but i stopped eating them for a while. then this last week i had one before my cycling class and i had to leave early because i had such intense pain. so then i tested them again yesterday, had one in the afternoon thinking maybe it was a fluke because it had been the first thing i'd eaten last time. well, this one took longer to affect me but it hit a little after dinner. same pain, and this time, pretty bad gas too. ugh. so not the business. anyway, is this a pretty common thing, and does anyone know if its just this particular brand or if i'll have similar issues with any protein supplement?

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I personally have similar issues. Protein bars (any brand w/ 15-25g of protein) sit in my stomach like a giant brick. Despite eating them slowly with plenty of water, they just plain "hurt" me (oh, and constipation). For this, I prefer to work diligently to get my protein from food sources I enjoy (my diary's public--feel free to look), and make it part of meals. The exception is my nightly Slim Fast "treat". It replaces my former habit of blended iced coffee bazillion calorie drinks.
  • emilysfatsuit
    emilysfatsuit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Pure Protein's cans - 35 grams of protein and they taste like a milkshake! I still find myself checking the nutrition info on the back of the can because they always taste too good to be true. Their protein bars, on the other hand, are just SO bad. In the past 9 months, I've probably tried every bar on the market and the only protein bar that doesn't go down like a brick are Quest Bars.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. I personally love Pure Protein bars and can't stand Quest bars.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone is different. I would eat three quest bars in a row without missing a beat and feel fine if I had no self control. I love them that much. Pure protein bars are ok. I like quest bars better, but I eat these sometimes as well.