Do not know what to do now!!!

Options
Hi everyone,

Last week, I was diagnosed with costochondritis by two doctors. This condition is basically an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs and sternum (breastbone). It can last for a week to even months. Long story short- both doctors pressed down on the sides of my breastbone and it elicited strong pain. Just by doing that and careful physical assessment, they both said that I have costochondritis. Well, I have experienced numerous flares up and it is not fun at all. Anything can cause it. For me, my doctors said that I could have been doing some heavy lifting or strenuous exercises that irritated the cartilage. I was told to take it easy for a while and take some pain killers when needed.

I have not worked out a for a week and I have gained weight. I am feeling pretty down because I was on a roll of losing weight and all of this happened. I want to go back to the gym but I am afraid that I will irritate the cartilage even more. Pretty much I do not know what to do now.

Anyone got advice on what I should do?

Replies

• haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone here will offer up some better advice than this, but you can still lose weight without exercising by controlling your calorie intake. It just won't be as rewarding. Personally, I have only changed my diet so far (one week in), and not yet begun to exercise. My results are decent. My food diary is public if you want to take a look.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Can you walk for any distance? I know it's not optimal exercise, but maybe if you changed your activity level to sedentary and then logged walking as exercise?
  • MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That sounds painful, I'm sorry to hear you're going through that!

Like the others said, you can lose weight by controlling your diet. Change your setting to sedentary since you won't be exercising as much. That will most likely lower the calories you are allotted each day.

And definitely walk for exercise. That's the only exercise I can think of that won't cause pain. Maybe the elliptical, but without holding on to the moving arm things because that seems like it would cause some twisting. Possibly light yoga.

Best of luck, I hope you feel better soon!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Your main goal should be to heal. Did your doctor give you any hint of what you could possibly do or if physical therapy is an option?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

eat less.. and i'm not trying to be rude, but all you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight...
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My weight lose has been almost all accomplished by control portions and staying with in my daily numbers. I eat 75 gr of protein and limit carbs to 120 grams a day.

Stay positive and stay the path you will continue to see results.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

eat less.. and i'm not trying to be rude, but all you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight...

1+ when sideline from exercise diet must step up.