I need some urgent help with buying a rear 29er wheel

Options
m1xm0d3
m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
In short, I've broken 3 spokes in as many weeks just from street riding. My LBS said I def need a new 'stronger' rim so I am shopping on Amazon but have zero experience with the intricacies of buying a new wheel so I'll list what is currently on there.

Diamondback SL7 Aluminum Alloy
Double Wall
700c x 28/38C
ETRTO 662 x 20

Disc brakes and an 8 speed cassette.

The bike is a Diamondback Overdrive Sport so I don't want to go too expensive (I only paid $500 for the bike). I am not too concerned with the wheel's weight as long as it's somewhat economical and durable.

I really appreciate any help you guys can give.

Replies

• jimmyn6
    jimmyn6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a Specialized Hardrock 29er, and I bent the front rim on a wipeout... sand at the bottom of a hill, I didn't adjust and i went off the bike. rim bent. That was years ago... and rims for 29ers were pricey. They are a bit better now.

I got mine from JensonUSA. They will price match, they can be slow, so maybe get amazon to pricematch them. lol
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Alex-TD17-Rim that one in particular, it's 25 bucks, add shipping and rather simple basic. You must found out in your research 700c and 29" are compatible. The rim used less spokes than my specialized, so I just had my guy at the bike shop salvage my spokes from the bent rim and hardware. Granted this was the front wheel.
    you can order new spokes if you want. Your current hub should be fine.

also

bigboxbikes, a forum should be wonderful. I now roll on a mongoose MX-Pro 29, not high-end but it had same components as my specialized. yet to try it on trails though. waiting to shed some pounds.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Thx man. I appreciate the info.
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Is your LBS saying you only need to replace the rim or the whole wheelset? (rim, spokes and hub) Spokes generally break because they were too loose, a common occurrence with machine built wheels and heavier riders. A good handbuilt is going to cost you $200+/- a few bucks. You might be better off having them sell you a machine built with good components such as Velocity rim and double butted spokes with plated brass nipples with a hub made for disc brakes and then have them re-tension and stress relieve it. I've started building my own wheels, it is not really that hard although it is not cost effective as you can buy a built wheel for less than the cost of the parts.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Is your LBS saying you only need to replace the rim or the whole wheelset? (rim, spokes and hub) Spokes generally break because they were too loose, a common occurrence with machine built wheels and heavier riders. A good handbuilt is going to cost you $200+/- a few bucks. You might be better off having them sell you a machine built with good components such as Velocity rim and double butted spokes with plated brass nipples with a hub made for disc brakes and then have them re-tension and stress relieve it. I've started building my own wheels, it is not really that hard although it is not cost effective as you can buy a built wheel for less than the cost of the parts.

I believe that's just the rim. I ordered a wheel on Amazon yesterday and after hours of research I still could not find the specs to my bike nor be 100% certain the wheel I ordered is the correct fitment. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. If that fails, I am gonna say eff it and buy another bike, and a bike repair manual and tools.
  • mstripes
    Options
    The good news is that hubs that fit your cassette also fit 9, 10, and some will also fit 11 speed. So as long as it also is a disc brake hub you and 700c you should be good. What exactly did you order?
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    The good news is that hubs that fit your cassette also fit 9, 10, and some will also fit 11 speed. So as long as it also is a disc brake hub you and 700c you should be good. What exactly did you order?

The bike is a Diamondback Overdrive Sport 2013.

Here is the link to the wheel I just received yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YJ2RXG/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • mstripes
    Options
    That should work just fine for you. You might consider having a a local wheel builder tension and stress relieve it for you.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I got everything swapped out yesterday without problem. Took it out on some moderate trail riding to break it in. No problems so far! Thanks for your help!