Eating back exercise calories?

Options
I don't really understand why we want to eat back the calories we just burned off. I thought that was the point of exercise, to burn calories. What am I missing?

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The calories MFP gives you are net calories, not total calories consumed. If you don't eat enough calories, your body won't get the nutrition it needs.

Here's an example.

Let's say your MFP profile sets you to 1500 calories. This sets you at a calorie deficit before including any exercise. So, based on the profile in this example, with 0 exercise, you're already set up to lose weight.

One day you have a really tough workout one day and burn 800 calories. That puts you at 700 net calories for the day (1500 - 800 = 700), which is too low for your health. You eat back those calories and set you right back at 1500 - the number MFP already determined was a deficit for you.

If you go the TDEE method, which requires a different calculation method, then you don't have to eat back your calories because the exercise is already budgeted in there.

Too much of a calorie deficit can cause other problems. While on the surface it looks like you'd lose weight faster, you're actually creating a whole new mess of problems for yourself.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What's TDEE? And thanks, that makes sense.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why we want to eat back the calories we just burned off. I thought that was the point of exercise, to burn calories. What am I missing?

So my calorie target is about 1960 cals per day. I ran off 1800 calories this morning.

In practice if you're using MFP as it's designed then it's calculated a calorie deficit to deliver the weight loss that you put in when you set the target. If you don't eat back your calories then you lose faster than planned. Subject to your calorie goals if you don't eat back then you potentially end up in a serious enough deficit that your body can't maintain it's function, should that be sustained for a reasonable period.