Feeling Good....and Bad

Options
I just got back from my fastest walk with my dog: 40 min, 1.85 mi. Considering my dog makes me stop a lot (so he can take care of business), I was walking just under 3 mi/hr. I came home pouring sweat, my dog plopped and passed out :) it feels good to be out and really getting some exercise in!

The problem is, I know 3 mi/hr just isn't that fast. I feel a little ashamed that I'm so winded. I've been trying to walk faster since I started going for "real" walks (about two weeks ago). Will it get easier?

Replies

• ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yes. It gets easier!

Be proud of your hard work, not some meaningless number. I once heard an exercise physiologist say that every time you exercise you are changing your muscles for the better (think cells, muscle fibers, blood vessels...). Your muscle cells don't know about numbers, they are just better today than they were yesterday!

Hang in there! You're doing great!
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know jogging does, so I bet walking does, too.

Maybe keep some kind of log of your time/distance and maybe also how you feel afterwards, so you can easily see the difference in, say, a month from now. That kind of stuff keeps me motivated, at least.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper anytime I go walking, so I have a log. I can see improvement and it does make me feel good. And seeing me in better shape than my 70 lb lab also gives me a chuckle. Thanks :)
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cool, I love apps! Super helpful.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ANY exercise is better than hanging out on the couch, so congratulations. :)

It will get easier. Just keep at it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper anytime I go walking, so I have a log. I can see improvement and it does make me feel good. And seeing me in better shape than my 70 lb lab also gives me a chuckle. Thanks :)

I use the Nike Plus app for my runs/walks. It's a couple bucks, and very worth it. it tracks your progress, announces each mile completed, and tells you your best times, and lets you know when you beat your fastest mile. It links the music in your phone, and plays while you're out. It's great.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ashamed? No! You should be proud! The fact that you're winded means that you're pushing yourself, and that you're striving to do your best.

We all start SOMEWHERE! Don't beat yourself up over the fact that your starting point is different than another's. :)<3

PS. Great exercising!!
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes it will get easier. And you will be surprised at how fast it gets easier. And, btw, great walk! Keep up the good work - you are headed in the right direction. And the dog will thank you :flowerforyou:

Oh, and when you are down a few more pounds, grab something that weighs as much as you lost and haul it around - it will feel unreal (I was at a beer festival and grabbed 50 pounds of ice - 10 more pounds than I have lost on mfp but I am pretty sure at my highest I was that big - and just carrying it to the freezer was a pain - very motivating, let me tell you!)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Yes - it gets a lot easier - and when it does you will want to make it harder again - by adding a bigger hill or walking further. When you're getting puffed and sweating you know you're working. Doing great - you and the dog will soon be super fit

:flowerforyou: