It DOES matter when you eat...

Options
From MY experience anyways...As I know SO many of you (on this site) have said the complete opposite...(I agree that when you eat does not matter to your weight - Eat more calories...gain weight - no matter when you eat them)

My experience:
I use to have a large breakfast - am snack - smaller lunch - small afternoon snack - even smaller dinner and a very small snack before bed.

I now have begun to eat more of my calories at dinner and bedtime.

Same amount of calories, so my weight is the same, HOWEVER, my body shape has changed.... I've 'filled' out - tummy doesn't have a chance to digest my pm food and I end with a 'food baby' all day and now my limbs are larger - I've gained an 1/2 inch on my thighs and look like I've gained weight.

I think now that it really does 'pay off' to eat like King during the day and Pauper at night....for me anyways...

Curious though - what is your experience???

Hope the people that respond don't attack me...I'm just sharing my experience.

Replies

• jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about people's thoughts on this myself. I tend to eat more during the evening hours, because that is when I have time, lol. Also, I find I tend to "hoard" calories during the day, in case I need them later - then I have to eat them all in the evening. I have been losing weight steadily, so it isn't stopping my progress, but I wonder if there would be a benefit to eating more earlier in the day.
  • alabella
    alabella Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eating later at night probably just makes you appear more bloated. I seriously doubt it makes you any fatter.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think it's all up to you and your schedule. For me it works to have about the same amount of food for each meal, but snack more often while at work on fruits and vegetables.

I will say that I hate having a large dinner, or a large meal in general, because I feel bloated and uncomfortable for HOURS. I just can't eat like that anymore.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat, since your body is always digesting food.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I notice if I eat too late I can retain water and feel bloaty the next day. Sometimes I might get heartburn if I eat fatty/sugary foods too late.
    The main thing I notice, though, is that I feel heavier the next morning, compared to mornings when I eat light the evening before. Could have the same amount of calories or even less on the days I ate most of my cals in the evening, and I just don't feel light on my feet the next day the way I do when I eat light in the evenings.
    I don't know about body composition, and I don't see why it would affect weightloss other than possibly making one more sluggish and therefore less active the next day.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Interesring. I found myself eating small and smaller breakfasts because I tend to feel very hungry and snacky at night. To offset this, I ate less during the day and feasted at night. I haven't noticed any terrible side effects of doing this, but I suppose it's as how you stated that it is a personal experience.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I eat most of my calories in the evenings because I'm hungrier then. I also feel better if I eat carbs before training and perform better with them. Others will have completely opposite experiences because well, we're all different. For weight loss, it makes zero difference. For fat loss, too. Timing is irrelevant. Eat a good balanced diet within your calorie goal, when you personally enjoy doing so and win.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    ...but I wonder if there would be a benefit to eating more earlier in the day.

It won't affect your weight loss. Stick to your calories limit and eat as you wish.
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just a small thought on eating when...to make Sumo wrestlers gain weight they have them eat carb heavy meals (lots of rice) and then lay down and take a nap....just a thought.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My experience is that for me it doesn't matter. I tend to eat similar calories for each of my three meals and only snack if I have extra calories I need to fit in, but I've been eating dinner quite late because of my work schedule and have been losing at about 2 lb/week, higher than MFP projects. When I manage to eat earlier nothing seems to change, and my best loss week is probably the one where I was eating latest, although that's also because I was struggling to eat sufficient dinner at all because of not being used to what was a really crazy work week.

Having a real dinner not all that long before I go to bed also means that I don't feel like snacking in the evening, which is nice. I think any schedule that makes it easier to stick with your calories will work.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest difference between eating early verses late has more to do with activity. Yes, I tend to hoard my calories for night too. But if I eat too many during the day, I have a better chance of burning them before bed than if I exceed my calories late in the day.

I always seem to lose weight the day after an evening meeting when I eat at 6 pm to make the meeting by 7 pm and ride my bike there and back at 9 pm and have my bowl of ice cream at 10 pm. Days that I don't have my meeting, I eat dinner at 7:30 pm, ice cream at 10 pm and all my exercise was before 3 pm.

Yesterday I ate more at lunch than my entire calorie goal for the day. Because of that, I kept trying to burn more calories with exercise. I still kept eating even past 10 pm but didn't gain as much as I usually would if I ate over 1200 calories for dinner instead of lunch.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Just a small thought on eating when...to make Sumo wrestlers gain weight they have them eat carb heavy meals (lots of rice) and then lay down and take a nap....just a thought.

I would assume the less activity you do, the lower your TDEE is.... I could gain weight easier too if I sat on the couch and did nothing or napped
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Your body cannot tell the time. I work night shift 4 on 4 off my eating schedule is all over the place. It hasn't made any difference to my weight loss. Eat when you like and suits you.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    From MY experience anyways...As I know SO many of you (on this site) have said the complete opposite...(I agree that when you eat does not matter to your weight - Eat more calories...gain weight - no matter when you eat them)

My experience:
    I use to have a large breakfast - am snack - smaller lunch - small afternoon snack - even smaller dinner and a very small snack before bed.

Same amount of calories, so my weight is the same, HOWEVER, my body shape has changed.... I've 'filled' out - tummy doesn't have a chance to digest my pm food and I end with a 'food baby' all day and now my limbs are larger - I've gained an 1/2 inch on my thighs and look like I've gained weight.

I think now that it really does 'pay off' to eat like King during the day and Pauper at night....for me anyways...

Interesting about the 1/2 inch increase on thighs though. As that would have zero impact from the eating schedule changes. If anything the only difference could be bloat like someone else suggested.

Edited to clarify - I'm of course referring to stomach not thigh bloat ;-)
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't though. Calories even out. They don't know the difference between Monday and Thursday or night and day.

Only reason why I try not to eat at night is because it gives me gas and stomach upset.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

My experience:

Think about this logically. How does your body Know what time it is? Is it GMT or EST? What happens when you change time zones?Common sense dictates that it will have no effect. Yes personally eating at certain times may make you feel better but as weightloss goes there is no science saying that it effects it. I've lost 142 pounds having 3 meals a day with my biggest one around 9.30pm as that's what works for me. I have a friend who has lost around 120 pounds and she doesn't eat till after 1pm and just has two meals because that is personally what has worked for her. If your happy eating the way you do that's great if it works for you but I'm afraid there is no real evidence to say that eating at certain times will make you lose more weight.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

My experience:

Everybody is different. Of course everyone's body responds differently to different things. In my case, eating an early dinner or eating earlier just tends to give more time to feel like munching on some more stuff before bedtime. I eat less the later I eat. I'm a night owl. If eating earlier works for you,well keep at it. I would be paying more attention to WHAT I am eating than WHEN I am eating. An excess of chili cheese fries at 11:00 pm will probably result in what you're talking about. An overabundance of lettuce at 11:00PM...not so much. If you TRULY are eating the same amount of calories are you also as active? Be honest with yourself. You'd be surprised how fast you can gain weight if you eat the same but slow down on the activity. When I was training for my seventh marathon, I really wasn't all that hungry after a 20 mile run, maybe a little after a shorter run such as a nine miler. The more I ran the less hungry I was. Well I took a little break from running, enjoyed a little more haagen dazs and put on 25. Now, although I'm not a big person, I want to get down to race weight. The weight can creep on before you know it. BTW, my weight creeper up all while still doingban hour of cardio six days a week.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your body cannot tell the time. I work night shift 4 on 4 off my eating schedule is all over the place. It hasn't made any difference to my weight loss. Eat when you like and suits you.

That's not completely true, your body can tell time - it's called circadian rhythm.

Northwestern Hospital University (and others) has been doing lots of clinical trials on sleep, obesity and circadian rhythms. I've been a Guinea pig in a several of them. Unfortunately, the most recent study that hit the news
    http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2014/04/morning-rays-keep-off-the-pounds.html
    didn't appear to be causation but merely correlation. The funny thing was that the report came out when I was wearing the light and activity monitor for a different study.

The study I just spent the night in the hospital for with blood draws and hormone levels won't be published for another 2 years.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I eat the bulk of my daily calories after 7:00 PM, but that's just what works for me. I think it's more mental than anything. Everyone's different and should subscribe to the plan that's sustainable and will make them successful.