Question...

Options
why does everyone always say how much sodium there is in diet soda?

My coke zero has 40mg. in the face of my daily total, that is tiny.

I just don't get it....

Replies

• FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That's a very good question...i have no idea! i always hear about how it has preservatives and artificial sweeteners in it that are bad.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    All sodas are not alike.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Oh I get the artificial sweeteners argument. I don't buy it, but I get that part.

But I hear SO often people saying Oh it ihas SO much sodium....but it doesn't. Zero doesn't anyway...maybe different diet sodas do?

?????????
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    SOOOO WEIRD that you bring this up! I JUST had this debate with my husband Sunday...

We got no where...LOL. I was just told by someone well you HAVE to be careful of diet pop because of the sodium and I replied oh I figured there had to be a catch (just to get out of the ridiculous debate) but in the back of my mind going...Um...what? I've looked at my labels a million times and never seen anything I would consider high.

Sorry to only add to the confused side of this question!!! lol! :o)
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just something people are so used to saying, they say it without knowing that they're not right?
  • buckeyereavis
    Options
    SOOOO WEIRD that you bring this up! I JUST had this debate with my husband Sunday...

We got no where...LOL. I was just told by someone well you HAVE to be careful of diet pop because of the sodium and I replied oh I figured there had to be a catch (just to get out of the ridiculous debate) but in the back of my mind going...Um...what? I've looked at my labels a million times and never seen anything I would consider high.

Sorry to only add to the confused side of this question!!! lol! :o)

yah you call it pop tooo hahahah!!!

i have always been told its the artificial sweetner in the diet pop... aspertamine... it is not the best... its almost as bad as sugar!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Because you drink it when you're thirsty, and when you're body's telling you your thirsty you need water. Than you drink the pop and get thirstier and bloated, than you need the water. (sips her diet coke) :D
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Because you drink it when you're thirsty, and when you're body's telling you your thirsty you need water. Than you drink the pop and get thirstier and bloated, than you need the water. (sips her diet coke) :D
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's because when Diet Rite (remember that nastiness? almost as bad as Tab!) came out they made a big deal that they had none, so I think people automatically assumed other diet sodas had a ton.
  • troyindallas
    troyindallas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I switched from Coke to Diet Coke, I gained 40+ lbs, without changing my eating habits. For some people the chemicals in the diet drinks do a real number on them. Giving up Diet Coke was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I did it and only 13 peole had to die because of it.......jk on the 13 people.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Because they need a reason to say all soda is bad. I've NEVER stopped drinking diet soda, and I've never had trouble losing weight.

Now, there are some chemicals in there that can have affects of people, but that's a spereate thing entirely.

I use soda to help with cravings for sweets and in the evening if I'm hungry and don't have calories left to eat.
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    LOL! Pop, Soda, Coke...I went from a pop household into a soda household...and guess who converted who? Mwhahaha!
    Pop won. :o)

Anyways, weird side note. When I first met my husband he was very overweight from the large amounts of mountain dew and Mickey D's he consumed. Then I came into the picture and said stop drinking so much pop! So he did! And dropped 100 pounds. In about 3 months.

Over the past 6 years he had built up the habit again and gained around 50 pounds back. I told him that he should knock it off again and maybe try to replace the hard core pop with diet...so he obliged. Its been a month and he has lost 4 pounds.
    4 pounds. He has been so confused because last time he didn't even stop drinking it altogether, he just cut back. This time, he has stopped with the regular pop and replaced it with diet. And he is drinking much less.

After reading this, I'm beginning to wonder if his body just doesn't like the diet pop. Because otherwise? He eats within his calories. He doesn't have much time for exercise but he has a very active lifestyle. Hmmm...pop for thought...
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    Coke Zero is great (in my opinion). If you were a big Coke drinker and you now have the occasional Coke Zero, it's not that bad. Now if you have like 10 of them a day, that's probably not very good.

My brother switched from Coke to Diet coke a few years ago and lost 30 pounds.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's not that 40mg is "high" but it is high for the 0 calories. When we recommend to cut out sodium for people who need to be lower in sodium (like people with high blood pressure or heart disease), a lot of nutritionists and dietitians tell them to only consume products that have lower sodium mg then calories. That is because we know that if they do that, then they will get close to the actual amount they are suppose to have (1500mg) because sodium is in everything so it is really hard to get sodium free foods unless you eat nothing but fresh fruits and veggies. Telling them to just go lower in sodium then calories makes them read labels and pick lower sodium foods but keep them from feeling deprived by not being able to eat anything they are use to eating. So, the 40mg of sodium to 0 calories makes it a high sodium product in relation to calories, not in relation to the amount of sodium you are suppose to have in a day. If you are eating a lot of foods that are lower in sodium then calories, you are probably still find on sodium. But if you are eating a lot of other foods that are more sodium then calories, you might want to keep a check on your sodium levels, blood pressure, and such.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    It's not that 40mg is "high" but it is high for the 0 calories. When we recommend to cut out sodium for people who need to be lower in sodium (like people with high blood pressure or heart disease), a lot of nutritionists and dietitians tell them to only consume products that have lower sodium mg then calories. That is because we know that if they do that, then they will get close to the actual amount they are suppose to have (1500mg) because sodium is in everything so it is really hard to get sodium free foods unless you eat nothing but fresh fruits and veggies. Telling them to just go lower in sodium then calories makes them read labels and pick lower sodium foods but keep them from feeling deprived by not being able to eat anything they are use to eating. So, the 40mg of sodium to 0 calories makes it a high sodium product in relation to calories, not in relation to the amount of sodium you are suppose to have in a day. If you are eating a lot of foods that are lower in sodium then calories, you are probably still find on sodium. But if you are eating a lot of other foods that are more sodium then calories, you might want to keep a check on your sodium levels, blood pressure, and such.

Thanks. This actually makes sense to me. I think I understand why diet has such a bad rap.

I still love my Zero though ;)
  • pandas10
    pandas10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As diet pop is my last vice. . . and I'm now trying to cut back on that, it isn't that the amount of sodium in a serving is bad. But, what about when ALL the fluid you drink is pop?
    To put that in perspective, for years, I have drank an average of 4 2-liter bottles of diet pop per week at home, in addition the 2-3 glasses while out to dinner or on the go.
    That's a lot of pop and quite a lot of sodium, with very little other fluids to offset it.
    I have high blood pressure, and I didn't think that the sodium from diet pop would be a problem (and considering some of processed crap I've had over the years, it probably wasn't really a problem), but in an effort to get off the blood pressure meds, I am making a good effort to drink water and cut back on the pop. Not only will this decrease some of my sodium intake, but it gets me away from the artificial crap they put in the pop and gets me used to turning to water when I'm thirsty.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Tony- that makes perfect sense to me!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i gave up all sodas 11 months ago. the chemicals are just not worth it for me.

and recently i heard a doctor refer to all soda/pop, diet and regular, as the equivalent to liquid cigarettes. i have up smoking 11.5 years ago. thankful i gave up the liquid form almost a year ago.

i now feel like i am in my early 20's again. lots of energy and enthusiasm. and i'm 43! wooohooo!

i encourage you to give up all sodas/pop.

cheering you on!
    jane
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    Peeeeerfect sense Tony! Thanks so much for turning this around for me! :o)
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    As diet pop is my last vice. . . and I'm now trying to cut back on that, it isn't that the amount of sodium in a serving is bad. But, what about when ALL the fluid you drink is pop?
    To put that in perspective, for years, I have drank an average of 4 2-liter bottles of diet pop per week at home, in addition the 2-3 glasses while out to dinner or on the go.
    That's a lot of pop and quite a lot of sodium, with very little other fluids to offset it.
    I have high blood pressure, and I didn't think that the sodium from diet pop would be a problem (and considering some of processed crap I've had over the years, it probably wasn't really a problem), but in an effort to get off the blood pressure meds, I am making a good effort to drink water and cut back on the pop. Not only will this decrease some of my sodium intake, but it gets me away from the artificial crap they put in the pop and gets me used to turning to water when I'm thirsty.

I think your cut back/sub water plan is just right! Just make sure to slowly but surely change the ratio and continue adding more and more water with less and less soda. I'm at the point where I plrimarily drink water while eating at home, but I usually still drink soda whenever I eat out. I've even been known to add a little regular soda in my diet to help the taste. I know, so scandalous! I also have some diet soda at home, but hardly ever drink one with a meal. I find I actually eat more when I drink soda as opposed to water with a meal while at home.