Advice for toning up

Options
I haven't been on here for a while but it's that time of year again when I'm getting anxious about being out in a bikini on holiday. I'm 5"3, 120lb and according to the scales 20% body fat but I don't have the figure I would like to have.

I don't want to make massive changes to my diet as I cook with my partner but am willing to try different breakfasts or lunches so long as they don't require a lot of preparation. Here is a typical day's food

Breakfast - cup of tea with semi skimmed milk, bowl of Special K.
Snack - cup of tea on my break with a couple of biscuits (plain, usually digestives without chocolate)
Lunch - a yoghurt and some strawberries
Dinner - usually chicken, I tend to go for pasta, I do like cheese so will put that on top
Snack - I have graze boxes delivered and will have either one of these or a packet of crisps if I'm feeling peckish

I don't do huge amount exercise, I admit. I do aerobics, swimming and I go for a run once a week, so only about 3 hours a week in total. I don't have any more time to go to the gym but have tried exercising at home. My main weakness is a lack of motivation. Last year I did 30 day shred, stuck to it every day and saw absolutely no change in weight, body fat or measurements and since then have lost my motivation.

What advice would you have, considering I'm no overweight, just in poor shape. Home workouts are preferred as I can't get to the gym often and chances to diet would be helpful.

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that the most important thing you can do for getting the shape you want is going to be progressive heavy lifting or at least some form of general strength training. Since you want to work from home that may be a little tricky depending on your current strength levels because eventually you would need some lifting equipment, but you can definitely at least get started by doing some body weight work.

Some things to look in to:

Lifting guides - Strong lifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves. You'll find many women on this site who swear by these programs and several groups dedicated to working them.

General weight loss fitness - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    this one is pretty much the MFP must read for all newbies.

As for diet, I follow IIFYM, basically eat what I want as long as I hit my calorie and macro targets. I'm 5'8" 166lbs and losing 1/2 a pound per week on 2300-2500 calories.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that the most important thing you can do for getting the shape you want is going to be progressive heavy lifting or at least some form of general strength training. Since you want to work from home that may be a little tricky depending on your current strength levels because eventually you would need some lifting equipment, but you can definitely at least get started by doing some body weight work.

Lifting guides - Strong lifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves. You'll find many women on this site who swear by these programs and several groups dedicated to working them.

General weight loss fitness - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As for diet, I follow IIFYM, basically eat what I want as long as I hit my calorie and macro targets. I'm 5'8" 166lbs and losing 1/2 a pound per week on 2300-2500 calories.

All of this ^^. If you want to change your body in ways you just can't imagine - start lifting. Also, if you've never done any strength training, start with NerdFitness.com. They have a beginner program that I did before I started lifting and it was awesome!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

All of this ^^. If you want to change your body in ways you just can't imagine - start lifting. Also, if you've never done any strength training, start with NerdFitness.com. They have a beginner program that I did before I started lifting and it was awesome!

^yes! all of this! i was going to suggest strength training as well, and the nerdfitness bodyweight training is a great place to start if you do not have a gym membership or any weights at home:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/:

edited to add that if you really do not want to join a gym then i recommend getting a squat rack, bar & weights if you have the space for it. in the meantime you might want to consider investing in a pair of adjustable dumbbells. As a beginner i was able to get by with just bodyweight training & dumbbells for several months.

Here is a link on working out at home with only dumbbells:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells?hl=only+have+dumbbells&page=3#posts-16349782
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I looked at the beginner workout on nerd fitness which looks simple enough. Should I still do my running and swimming on the rest days?

Also, with IIFYM, do I still eat back exercise calories? And what's the best way to measure food? I cook with my partner and I do measure out meat and pasta but don't go as far as measuring veg, cheese, oil, etc and don't measure my portion size ( he's a man who eats more than me so I eat less than half). Does the calorie counting have to be more precise?

Edit: I do have gym membership and adjustable dumbbells at home. I live in a village, we have a pool and a fitness studio where I can do aerobics and similar classes but the main gym is in the main town so I avoid it due to traffic around work hours
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    I haven't been on here for a while but it's that time of year again when I'm getting anxious about being out in a bikini on holiday. I'm 5"3, 120lb and according to the scales 20% body fat but I don't have the figure I would like to have.

I don't want to make massive changes to my diet as I cook with my partner but am willing to try different breakfasts or lunches so long as they don't require a lot of preparation. Here is a typical day's food

Snack - cup of tea on my break with a couple of biscuits (plain, usually digestives without chocolate)
    Lunch - a yoghurt and some strawberries
    Dinner - usually chicken, I tend to go for pasta, I do like cheese so will put that on top
    Snack - I have graze boxes delivered and will have either one of these or a packet of crisps if I'm feeling peckish
    I don't do huge amount exercise, I admit. I do aerobics, swimming and I go for a run once a week, so only about 3 hours a week in total. I don't have any more time to go to the gym but have tried exercising at home. My main weakness is a lack of motivation. Last year I did 30 day shred, stuck to it every day and saw absolutely no change in weight, body fat or measurements and since then have lost my motivation.

What advice would you have, considering I'm no overweight, just in poor shape. Home workouts are preferred as I can't get to the gym often and chances to diet would be helpful.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    You should eat back your exercise calories (or at least a portion of them) if you are using the MFP settings. I personally use TDEE and not the MFP settings because I like to be able to eat the exact same amount of calories every day, so I do not eat back exercise calories.

As for measuring, that gets trickier. I'm not super strict with my measuring but others certainly are. Generally though, if you're not seeing the results you want after a few weeks, measuring is usually the culprit. If I start noticing my weight loss slowing down, I spend a few weeks strictly measuring to get myself back on track.

Basic measuring, use a digital scale that measures in grams for all solid foods, use measuring cups and spoons for all liquids. I cook for myself and my husband. I'll enter all the ingredients in to the recipe builder and set the number of portions. He might eat two portions and I might eat only one, but this way I at least have a good general idea of how many calories I'm getting in a meal. I usually don't worry to much about the veg, but you should be measuring the oils and cheeses as those can add up quickly.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options

Snack - cup of tea on my break with a couple of biscuits (plain, usually digestives without chocolatein total. I don't have any more time to go to the gym but have tried exercising at home. My main weakness is a lack of motivation. Last year I did 30 day shred, stuck to it every day and saw absolutely no change in weight, body fat or measurements and since then have lost my motivation.

great i'm unmotivated like yiu maybe cause is summer, i find very helpful to workout eith a partner or a p.trainer cause to shift both is a kinda of having a fast and satisfied training, i was a runner for example and to run with a partner is also no boring at all so is the only advice i can give you try to cut from 3 hiurs per week that's fine at least 1 training with someone, 3 hours are nor few, depends on intensity also i've noticed that you don't fuel up enough that's why you don't see progress so your metabolism is not striken !! sorry to say it but if you eat so less, less results!!!
  • goldenglow90
    Options
    Okay so I did the IIFYM and I'm finding it hard to reach my protein goal and go over the carbs. I eat meat with dinner but don't like nuts and seeds so don't get much protein elsewhere. My other half uses whey protein and make shakes sometimes, is it okay for me to do that since I don't want to bulk up, just tone and lose fat?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    whether you consume whey protein or not has no bearing on "bulking". "Bulking" as a very deliberate action...it requires a surplus of calories (you can't do it while you're dieting) and an intense lifting program...like more than just spending a few days per week lifting some weights in the gym...it requires a lot of time and dedication and patience as well as some rockin' genetics and it helps to be male and have all kinds of testosterone pumping through your body...and even then, it's still really hard. Nobody has ever "bulked" on accident.

Most people who eat a good diet and get plenty of protein and lift heavy things and put them down end up with the "toned" body they are looking for. Mind you, it takes time and really shouldn't be a seasonal thing...to really have that body, you have to have a commitment to that activity.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Okay so I did the IIFYM and I'm finding it hard to reach my protein goal and go over the carbs. I eat meat with dinner but don't like nuts and seeds so don't get much protein elsewhere. My other half uses whey protein and make shakes sometimes, is it okay for me to do that since I don't want to bulk up, just tone and lose fat?

Yes, protein shakes are a great way to get more protein into your diet. As for getting "bulky", that is a misconception many women seem to have about lifting & protein supplements. The truth is that women do not have the testosterone levels that men have and it is quite difficult for us to bulk up. I lift heavy and drink 1-2 protein shakes every day, and have done so for the last several years. Take a peek at my profile pics and you will see i am nowhere near "bulky".

Also, check out this article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girls-get-your-guns-why-women-should-lift-weights.html

:smile:
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club app on phone - it's free and the workouts will get you toned with minimal equipment at home. Workout lengths range from 15 to 30 to 45 minutes and you can work on one area like legs or back or do an all over body workout.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Here's a link to another thread I posted in since I can't figure out how to make the pics go away anyways.:laugh:

The OP had several similar questions/concerns. I think it's pretty clear from the pics that I'm definitely not getting any bulkier, and I lift heavy things and use whey protein quite regularly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1313565-women-doing-starting-strength?page=1#posts-20302927
  • goldenglow90
    Options
    Nike Training Club app on phone - it's free and the workouts will get you toned with minimal equipment at home. Workout lengths range from 15 to 30 to 45 minutes and you can work on one area like legs or back or do an all over body workout.

This is the kind of thing I need! I've tried other apps before but they've not been very good