Strength Training for runners - workout example anyone?

FemininGuns
FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has a strength training workout example for runners. A person I know wants to run a half marathon with me in February and she's wondering if she can have 2 days of a full body workout that would support running. She will be running 4 times per week (combination tempo runs, steady runs and one long run)... She has 2 kids and would like to fit in weights that take no longer than 45 minutes for full body. Any suggestions welcomed!

Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• goodsister
    goodsister Posts: 9 Member
    I am not sure. However I have just started running and I have to run a half marathon in Feb. AND a 10 k this month. The only thing I do is train with Nike.com. It s a site that has help me focus and tracks everything I do while running.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    I believe everyone is pretty different with their weight training as a runner, but what I found that works the best with running is light weight and more repetitions. I focus a lot on my hips as I tend to have IT band issues. There are many exercieses she can look up on line. I use some from runnersworld.com and livestrong.com. It makes it easier to have lower weight and high repetitions in order to build strenght, but not feel too sore to run. I will say the best runs I do is when I crosstrain. Running is great, but cross training with spinning or swimming makes the run even better.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    I would recommend doing Kettlebell training. I did that in addition to my 1/2 marathon training. It works your core and helps you gain strength. There are a bunch of demo videos if you Google "crossfit." You can purchase American Kettlebells at Target, Walmart, and even Best Buy now. Or try used sports equipment shops for Russian Kettlebells.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I would recommend doing Kettlebell training. I did that in addition to my 1/2 marathon training. It works your core and helps you gain strength. There are a bunch of demo videos if you Google "crossfit." You can purchase American Kettlebells at Target, Walmart, and even Best Buy now. Or try used sports equipment shops for Russian Kettlebells.

I was going to suggest kettlebell as well. I use Lorna Kleidman's book to get started. I started running in March and ran my first marathon in October, trained running and kettlebell the whole training.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    I don't have a routine to suggest, but one of the most best things a runner can do to help their running is to improve their core strength. So, I would say find a workout that has a strong emphasis on core work. I would also recommend plyometrics.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    There are a TON of options for her. Any basic total body circuit routine would be fine. Hit all the major muscle groups and probably don’t do the weights the day before or after the long run or any other difficult run. Another thing to consider is body weight exercises too. Push ups, pull ups, squats, single leg squats, lunges, dips, step ups can all be put into a nice total body routine.
This discussion has been closed.