Help with treadmill?

Options
I'm 18 years old, male, 148 pounds and my current workout a day is 30 minutes on a treadmill and then i go swimming.

I've been reading a lot about the treadmill calories burnt calculator is pretty inaccurate, even though the treadmills at my gym make me enter my age and weight etc. I use an incline of 10, and at a speed of 6 (can't remember the unit its in, but its basically a strong power walk). Even half hour it usually tells me i've burnt about 600 calories, and although i sweat and get my heart rate into the fat burning zone i'm just wondering if i actually am burning these... i also hold onto the handle bars but these have a heart rate monitor on them and the treadmill tells you to keep your hand on them, so i'm thinking that maybe the calculator automatically takes this into account and doesn't automatically think you've burnt the amount of calories you would when not holding?

I just don't think 600 cals every half hour seems very accurate.. a little too easy? i don't know. But on the plus side i am loosing weight so yey

Replies

• rhysglover
    rhysglover Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How many cals would you guys think I'm burning?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Net calories burned Running at 5+ mph:

0.63 X body weight (lbs) X distance (miles)

When you hold onto the handle bars, the equipment is doing a portion of the work for you, so slash that number down a little. Maybe with your incline etc it makes the work a bit harder and the equation actually holds true
  • rhysglover
    Options

When you hold onto the handle bars, the equipment is doing a portion of the work for you, so slash that number down a little. Maybe with your incline etc it makes the work a bit harder and the equation actually holds true

For some reason my treadmill shows meters climbed? Can i use that in the equation?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

For some reason my treadmill shows meters climbed? Can i use that in the equation if i convert into mph?

Convert the total meters run to miles. Climbed? A tread mill is mostly flat :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    You're actually quite thin. Why still losing weight? How tall are you?
  • rhysglover
    Options

5'11. I am all around thin, but through clubbing/binge eating over the past year i've gained weight. and it pretty much all goes to my stomach, no where else. I know I'm at a healthy weight, and i don't intend on going underweight, just would like to loose some from my stomach. Thanks for replying btw
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

5'11. I am all around thin, but through clubbing/binge eating over the past year i've gained weight. and it pretty much all goes to my stomach, no where else. I know I'm at a healthy weight, and i don't intend on going underweight, just would like to loose some from my stomach. Thanks for replying btw

You're welcome. According to the charts you're probably not quite under weight but I'm guessing about 5 lbs from being so. I'm not sure leaner is the way to go for you. You should explore some lifting programs and may even need to get some more food in you (a bulk cycle followed by a cut) to improve your body shape and lose body fat. I'm not an expert on this so hopefully someone else jumps in. Good luck :)