Weigh- Ins

Options
Does anyone weigh in daily? Does it help or hurt you?

Replies

• jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily and then put my weights into a weight tracker that averages them out. I like seeing how those daily up and downs add up to an overall loss. I find that I don't get stressed over seeing a higher number one or two days on the scale, because I know the overall trend is down!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in daily, but I don't expect the scale to move down each day. If you want to do it this way, you have to be able to see the fluctuations (e.g. going up a pound compared to yesterday) without being discouraged, and just look at the long-term trend of weight loss.

I decided to do it daily because I think I would be discouraged if I weighed in weekly and it happened to fall on a day where I was retaining water, making the measurement the same or possibly higher than last week.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It is a mind game. I do not weigh in daily. Maybe about twice a month I weigh in. It can start to drive you crazy and sometimes stress you out since the number on the scale will fluctuate daily. You do not lose weight daily, so why weigh yourself daily? That's just IMO.
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    In my case, it doesn't hep because my weight fluctuates over a number of things I'm not even aware of.

I tend to weigh myself weekly - I pick a day to see how much I lost during the past week and then, if the values are way off what they're supposed to, I'll weigh myself again on the next day to see if it's actually a trend or just a weird fluctuation.

I forgot to add that when weighing myself, I try to do it in the exact same conditions. In my case in the morning, right after I wake up.
  • oddzki
    oddzki Posts: 10
    Options
    I would say, if you have the ability to weigh yourself everyday, it's a good idea. Mainly because it will show you how your weight will vary from day to day despite if your loosing weight or not. However, when looking at the graph over a time period of weeks, you will notice a pattern.

In the broad scheme, if you just want to see results, once a week is enough, but I found out through weighing in almost everyday day that certain times of the week, by doing certain workouts and eating certain things, I would weigh more or less the next day depending on that.

For example, if I ate heavily salted carbohydrates, I would always weigh more the next day through extra water retention, which would quickly vanish the day after that.

But please keep in mind that weight is weight and NOT fat percentage.
    Also, needless to say, weigh in the same time everyday, preferably when you wake up.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but input into Excel and focus on the 3-day average. Even that fluctuates, though.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I typically weigh once a day, only during the week after TOM. :D Everyday there is a loss, and then I stop for 3 weeks.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily or multiple times daily even, if I decide to jump on the scale. I do think it best to weigh often to understand the way your body fluctuates, BUT if someone has an emotional response to the number on the scale it may be more harmful than beneficial. Depending on a zillion factors I can bounce anywhere in a 4lb range in 48 hrs. I only log when I hit a new low out of my range, weighing daily has also taught me when this most likely will occur.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    When I first started I weighed in only once a week and I managed to hit it a lot where I was retaining water for whatever reason. I did not like that so I swapped to weighing in everyday. I love seeing the overall downward movement and I don't stress (as much) if my weight creeps up.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I weigh in almost-daily but don't record a loss unless it holds consistently (or declines further) for 3-4 days. For example, today I weighed in at 3lbs lighter than two days ago, which I can pretty much chalk up to eating very few solids yesterday. Water weight. If I only weighed in once a week and recorded, say for instance if I chose today's ridiculously low number, I'd be less accurate than I currently am. So while I do step on the scale most days (except Wednesday and Saturday, as I get up earlier those days and don't have time), I don't jump at recording every number I see.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do, and I think it helps me. But you have to be ok with seeing the fluctuations and knowing that it's the trend you're looking for, not just whether you're up or down that particular day.

You also really should weigh in at the same conditions when you do, like in the morning after using the bathroom in the nude so the conditions are as close to the same each day as possible.

To me, the scale numbers are more data for my graph. It gives me a better idea of my progress because before I was only weighing in at the end of my weekend and sometimes I would see no change from the week before, but now even if that day's numbers are the same as the week before, the day before and/or after may be much lower (such as a water retention situation after a high-sodium dinner), so it helped me to know that in general I was on the right track.