Does yoga burn calories?

Options
I'm thinking about doing a yoga class at school and I think it would be great to stay healthy an help reduce stress but I was wondering If it actually burnt any calories because it seems like I would hardly burn more than 10.

Replies

• joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I love yoga and usually burn between 150 -250 with a regular session but I'm doing P90x3 right now and burn between 300-450 with X3 Yoga I believe the extra burn is due to the structure of the program. Either way I say go for it! Such a good stretch and so relaxing.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    How many calories you burn is based on the type of yoga-some are more intense than others. Yesterday I burned 241 doing an hour of yoga flow. I burn more doing power yoga, less doing Hatha yoga. It will also depend on how committed you are to the poses and the effort put into stretching.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think it can depend on what kind of yoga you are doing, but it does burn some calories.

You can do yoga for weightloss where you end up sweating loads and really feel the burn or you can do light yoga where you're doing more relaxing poses and stretches.

If you have itunes, there's some free yoga video podcasts on there. I like one called 'yogamazing'. The guy who does it has different ones like "yoga for college students", "yoga for weightloss", "yoga for anxiety". The weightloss one is crazy... I ended up sweating so much after that, the others are more relaxed.