Fat Girls (and Former Fat Girls) - I Need Help!

Options
indignantgnome
indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
I just got a new job (yay!), but it's a stark contrast in dress code between the last 8 years (and 80 pounds) of jobs I've had... and I need business clothes, on a budget because I don't want to blow all my hard earned cash on clothes that are going to fit for hopefully next to no time.

I currently wear either a 22 or 24 in jeans, 2xish in tops. I have severely limited access to 2nd hand stores and Goodwill and the like, because I live in the middle of nowhere. So, any brilliant solutions? :D

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What type of job is it?

My generic suggestion is to buy a few (2-3) pairs of pants and use those as the core of your work wardrobe. Pairing them with different shirts and accessories can really help you mix it up well with only a few choice pieces.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Look at this guy LOL. he needs to be your style guru. But I agree. Buy a few key pieces. As you lose weight, you can just add fun belts and stuff. Walmart has some decent plus sized stuff by George.
  • wheird
    Options
    Look at this guy LOL. he needs to be your style guru. But I agree. Buy a few key pieces. As you lose weight, you can just add fun belts and stuff. Walmart has some decent plus sized stuff by George.

I have watched far more What Not To Wear than I reasonably should have. :laugh:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Zulilly.com is pretty awesome and reasonable. I got some fantastic dresses for $35 a piece. However, it may take awhile to get to you because they act like a wholesaler - they show you what they can get, you order, they then place one big order, it gets shipped to them, then they ship to you...the last dresses I ordered took about 3 weeks.

Target.com - might have some great deals
    Macy's always has great deals and if you have a macy's card you'll get a bigger discount. (They do have plus size clothes)

Congrats on the new job!!!
  • do4fit16
    do4fit16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wal-mart has some great stuff, so does Layne Bryant especially if you can catch a sale! Also try facebook buy and sells... my co-workers get BAGS of work and play stuff for like near nothing compared to buying new. Good luck with your new job and journey!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Shop at Ross, if you can. Target and Walmart are normally pretty reasonably priced as well.
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    I grew out of my not-fat clothes over the winter, so before I get back into them, I'm all about the skirts! Get you some nice, stretchy and / or draw string skirts for bottoms, and some nice tops. I shop at the thrift store, especially in the well to do districts of town, because you get items with tags still on them for ... $3.00? That is the way to go for stuff you won't wear long. :)
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Goodwill, salvation army.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Check ebay too. I've purchased very reasonably priced suits and office wear from there.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I love target. I'm actually going to second dresses, especially any type that can belt at the waist. I have several that I bought 30 pounds ago that still look great today, my pants and shorts however are pretty much a loss.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yep... A few neutral pants or skirts and then mix up shirts, scarves, jewelry, etc. I second roosts or Marshall's, eBay and target
  • indignantgnome
    Options
    What type of job is it?

My generic suggestion is to buy a few (2-3) pairs of pants and use those as the core of your work wardrobe. Pairing them with different shirts and accessories can really help you mix it up well with only a few choice pieces.

I'll be an account manager, moving up shortly after (within a year or so).
  • wheird
    Options
    What type of job is it?

I'll be an account manager, moving up shortly after (within a year or so).

Pin striped slacks, a more neutral plain slacks, and maybe a darker plain slacks.

I'd go with darker colored button up shirts, stay away from pastels with your skin tone, and keep any embellishments to a conservative level.
  • indignantgnome
    Options
    Pin striped slacks, a more neutral plain slacks, and maybe a darker plain slacks.

I'd go with darker colored button up shirts, stay away from pastels with your skin tone, and keep any embellishments to a conservative level.

I should just hire you to dress me every day. I suck at this. :P
  • miss27035
    miss27035 Posts: 1
    Options
    Depending where you live - Ross, Bealls, Marshalls, etc. They usually have very reasonably priced things especially clearance items. Just start out with 2 pairs of pants one being black and then you can mix and match.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I should just hire you to dress me every day. I suck at this. :P

Me too
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't know how formal this job is, but when I had my first job out of college here's what I did:

-2 plain black pencil skirts (This one from Torrid http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Bottoms/Skirts/The+Pencil+Skirt-515611.jsp )

-As many shells/tank tops/plain v-neck tshirts as possible (Old Navy is pretty good for this http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=70744&vid=8&pid=977065002 )

-6-7 cardigans (Target is excellent for cardis http://www.target.com/c/sweaters-women-s-clothing/-/N-5xtbx#navigation=true&viewType=large&sortBy=newest&minPrice=from&maxPrice=to&isleaf=true&navigationPath=5xtbx&parentCategoryId=9975766&facetedValue=/-/N-5xtbxZ55zkq&RatingFacet=0&categoryId=4646 )

-1 plain black blazer (Probably best to spend the most money on this item. A Cheap blazer looks terrrrrible)

-a couple colorful scarfs

Basically wearing the same skirt every day, and mix and match your shells and cardigans. Add a colorful scarf (or statement necklace or whatever) for special days, and you've got a wardrobe! I personally like a plain one color shell, and have a stripey, or brightly colored cardi, but that's just me. Plain cardi and bright t-shirt/shell/tank obviously works as well.
  • indignantgnome
    Options
    I don't know how formal this job is, but when I had my first job out of college here's what I did:

-2 plain black pencil skirts (This one from Torrid http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Bottoms/Skirts/The+Pencil+Skirt-515611.jsp )

-As many shells/tank tops/plain v-neck tshirts as possible (Old Navy is pretty good for this http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=70744&vid=8&pid=977065002 )

-6-7 cardigans (Target is excellent for cardis http://www.target.com/c/sweaters-women-s-clothing/-/N-5xtbx#navigation=true&viewType=large&sortBy=newest&minPrice=from&maxPrice=to&isleaf=true&navigationPath=5xtbx&parentCategoryId=9975766&facetedValue=/-/N-5xtbxZ55zkq&RatingFacet=0&categoryId=4646 )

-1 plain black blazer (Probably best to spend the most money on this item. A Cheap blazer looks terrrrrible)

-a couple colorful scarfs

Basically wearing the same skirt every day, and mix and match your shells and cardigans. Add a colorful scarf (or statement necklace or whatever) for special days, and you've got a wardrobe! I personally like a plain one color shell, and have a stripey, or brightly colored cardi, but that's just me. Plain cardi and bright t-shirt/shell/tank obviously works as well.

This is brilliant. I love the dress pants Torrid sells, so I'm sure their skirt won't let me down.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    JC Penny! I have found some good (cheap!) stuff there in recent months when I've needed nice work clothes. They had a good selection in store.