Attractiveness and Weight - research & BMI

Options
EvgeniZyntx
EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
The image below shows research on "attractiveness" vs bmi for two different groups - self identified "fat admirers" and a control group.

9nAOBcvl.jpg

Research here: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/m.j.tovee/Swami+Tovee-2009.pdf

Whatever BMI you have, or intent to have as a goal weight, attractiveness isn't some absolute measure based on the weight on the scale for all guys.
(Oh, look, we don't all think alike.)

Lower weight might be attractive to some, while higher weight might be attractive to another group.

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    you may not think for yourself.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    BMI is pseudo-science devised in the early 1800's. It's merely someone's weight and height ratio, and has nothing to do with their body fat percentage or their health.

musclefatcomparison.gif
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    BMI is pseudo-science devised in the early 1800's. It's merely someone's weight and height ratio, and has nothing to do with their body fat percentage or their health.

musclefatcomparison.gif

I'm fairly sure that those of us that have posted thus far are aware.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

In general, for a large general population higher BMI means higher bf%.
    But go ahead and consider that they where evaluating high BMI body builders if that makes you happy.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

But go ahead and consider that they where evaluating high BMI body builders if that makes you happy.
    My BMI is pretty high...i thinkkkk i am close to the obese range due to LBM AND body fat. I certainly hope I have attractiveness factor no matter what my number is:flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

musclefatcomparison.gif

I don't think the chart was concerned much with the efficacy of the BMI chart so much as the fact that people are attracted to all shapes and sizes. It was just comparing two groups: a control group and a group of people who proclaim a preference for larger people.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

My BMI is pretty high...i thinkkkk i am close to the obese range due to LBM AND body fat. I certainly hope I have attractiveness factor no matter what my number is:flowerforyou:

This you do. This you do.
    Stunning.

<mmmmh,numbers>
    :flowerforyou:
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @wheird

Not posting for your benefit but for the OP, who seemed to not understand that the entire premise of BMI is false and misleading. And hey, I learned that from reading the "Eat, Train, Progress" group info. Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf are very intelligent people and they don't use BMI as an indicator.

@EvgeniZyntx

This isn't about making you or anyone else happy Bro, it was about educating someone who made an ignorant statement. I knew too many people in the military who actually had a high BMI and had to jump through all kinds of hoops because they were actually muscular, football types but their medical records said they were overweight, so this is a real issue in the world of 'real men'. (And a few pretty High Speed Low Drag ladies, LOL!

I'm sorry, I assumed that you might be teachable? My bad.

Ha! But really, what was the point of your post if not to pass on irrelevant and false 'information'? Sorry if I peed on your parade. No need to get your panties in a wad.

CYA ~ I'm done here.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    @wheird

Not posting for your benefit but for the OP, who seemed to not understand that the entire premise of BMI is false and misleading. And hey, I learned that from reading the "Eat, Train, Progress" group info. Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf are very intelligent people and they don't use BMI as an indicator.

@EvgeniZyntx

This isn't about making you or anyone else happy Bro, it was about educating someone who made an ignorant statement. I knew too many people in the military who actually had a high BMI and had to jump through all kinds of hoops because they were actually muscular, football types but their medical records said they were overweight, so this is a real issue in the world of 'real men'. (And a few pretty High Speed Low Drag ladies, LOL!

Ha! But really, what was the point of your post if not to pass on irrelevant and false 'information'? Sorry if I peed on your parade. No need to get your panties in a wad.

CYA ~ I'm done here.

Uh. Wow.

And also.

..... Nope, just wow.

I don't think anyone expected butthurt over the study using this perfectly relevant statistical measure to provide some statistics.

Bmi = lousy for individual evaluations and very good as a correlation to bodyfat across average populations. Which both Sara and side steel will confirm.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    What I take away from this chart is that most of the men at my gym are "fat admirers," b/c I do nothing for the control group.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    @wheird

@EvgeniZyntx

CYA ~ I'm done here.

Amused. It seems you missed the point.

See Galatea's post.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Nice post as always, OP, but did that really just happen? Entertaining as always these forums are.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Nice post as always, OP, but did that really just happen? Entertaining as always these forums are.

Ditto :drinker:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

It wouldn't be MFP if somebody didn't find some reason to get bent out of shape over something positive.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    @wheird

@EvgeniZyntx

CYA ~ I'm done here.
    LOLOLOLOL at gene needing to be "taught" by you. You completely missed the point of his post.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    @wheird

@EvgeniZyntx

CYA ~ I'm done here.
    LOLOLOLOL at gene needing to be "taught" by you. You completely missed the point of his post.

In fairness to her, we all do say "BMI doesn't matter" pretty often in response to people using BMI to set goal weights, but that is in context of "BMI doesn't matter - for this thing".

So I can see where someone would get the idea that it doesn't matter in ALL contexts.

But feeling the need to angrily school people on something you don't actually understand is ..... not ideal.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

You my dear are undeniably hot.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    @wheird

@EvgeniZyntx

CYA ~ I'm done here.

lol @ at a genpopper dumping on the actual science guy
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    OP, I totally get the humor of your post so no butthurt here I promise.
    Bmi = lousy for individual evaluations and very good as a correlation to bodyfat across average populations. Which both Sara and side steel will confirm.

I would have agreed with this statement last week, this post on another thread has made me call that in to question however.
    nihms152315f2a.jpg

The National Institutes of Heath did a study called: Accuracy of Body Mass Index to Diagnose Obesity In the US Adult Population

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2877506/

Now I admittedly haven't done much research in this field, but um yea, those numbers look a little questionable to me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    @wheird

@EvgeniZyntx

CYA ~ I'm done here.
    You calling him ignorant while making baseless assumptions about him, that's comedy gold right there.