Confused on Apple sizes

Options
Spiderkeys
Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
Today I had a Large Granny smith apple, it was only 95 Calories, later on I only had a Medium sized granny smith apple, but what, 97 calories?! How can medium be more than large for the exact same species of apple, I feel ripped-off here.

The results of large and medium granny sized apples are in my dairy

Replies

• mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you can, weigh your apple. I always cut my apple into wedges and weigh it before I eat it. Solid foods like this are much more accurate if you go by weight instead of size or measuring cups.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    If you can, weigh your apple. I always cut my apple into wedges and weigh it before I eat it. Solid foods like this are much more accurate if you go by weight instead of size or measuring cups.

This.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options

^^^ this & I'll add you should double check your entries against the USDA nutrient database for a more accurate calorie count.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Today I had a Large Granny smith apple, it was only 95 Calories, later on I only had a Medium sized granny smith apple, but what, 97 calories?! How can medium be more than large for the exact same species of apple, I feel ripped-off here.

The results of large and medium granny sized apples are in my dairy

You do know that anyone can add any entry they want to the database, right? So don't always trust the database. A lot of the entries are incorrect. Do as the others suggested and research it yourself.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my apples. You get a much more accurate idea of the calories that way :)
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cut up the apple and weigh it. multiply the ounces by 28.35 to convert to grams. Then look up "apples raw" in the database; you will see Apples raw without the asterisk (asterisk means it is a member-added item). That is the USDA amount. It has a 100 grams option, so if your apple is 87 grams, then you would choose .87 servings of a 100 gram serving. Sounds more complicated than it is. That's what I do for all my plain fruits and veggies. Most of them you can look up w/ "NAME raw" to get the USDA data choice
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Cut up the apple and weigh it. multiply the ounces by 28.35 to convert to grams. Then look up "apples raw" in the database; you will see Apples raw without the asterisk (asterisk means it is a member-added item). That is the USDA amount. It has a 100 grams option, so if your apple is 87 grams, then you would choose .87 servings of a 100 gram serving. Sounds more complicated than it is. That's what I do for all my plain fruits and veggies. Most of them you can look up w/ "NAME raw" to get the USDA data choice

XEAbso2.gif
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options

XEAbso2.gif

shouldn't this gif be in the "Should I be offended" thread... cuz he looks like the guy that did that to the girl ... :laugh:
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

XEAbso2.gif

shouldn't this gif be in the "Should I be offended" thread... cuz he looks like the guy that did that to the girl ... :laugh:

Agreed!! I have not laughed that hard in a long time. LOL