How do you feel about this weight calculator?

Options
http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

I just found this and it give you 4 different ideal weights (people's choice, medical recommendation, 2 others) and it even talks about what's wrong with some of the calculators.

I thought it was kind of interesting to see the large range of "ideals" that it gave me.

Admittedly, I felt a little huffy that the people's choice put me at 109 (my ideal is 108 and I'm currently 112), but then I realized that it should be motivating me to drop these last 5 lbs. But I'm in the medical ideal, so that made me feel good. It also made me feel good about picking 108 since I felt like I was picking that number out of thin air.

Seriously, who are these people and how did they get to choose the ideal?

Anyone else?

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

I just found this and it give you 4 different ideal weights (people's choice, medical recommendation, 2 others) and it even talks about what's wrong with some of the calculators.

I thought it was kind of interesting to see the large range of "ideals" that it gave me.

Admittedly, I felt a little huffy that the people's choice put me at 109 (my ideal is 108 and I'm currently 112), but then I realized that it should be motivating me to drop these last 5 lbs. But I'm in the medical ideal, so that made me feel good. It also made me feel good about picking 108 since I felt like I was picking that number out of thin air.

Seriously, who are these people and how did they get to choose the ideal?

Anyone else?
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    My goal is in the people's choices....I am within my medical choice...it was interesting...

thanks. :flowerforyou:

zen
  • carldawn1
    carldawn1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!!:smile: My goal is in the middle of people's choice and medical recommendation so I'm feelin' good.
  • Sinnettfamily
    Sinnettfamily Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My goal is a coulple pounds more than people's choice and in the the middle of medical. So I guess I am looking good :)
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    My goal is 140 and People's Choice said 138 for me.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    My goal is a smokin hot and fit 135....Peoples Choice says 147 and medical says 114-150, so I seem to be good to go!! :wink:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of the two as well! I like that... cause I don't wanna be no 125lbs and it says that most women are ideally 199 and I want to be 20 or so lbs lighter than that... so I love that!

Thanks for the post...
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My goal is 6 pounds lower than peoples choice
  • tlegower
    tlegower Posts: 1
    Options
    The People's Choice is an interesting one because it is based on people of a similar Age, Height, Gender and...WEIGHT. So if you change your weight, but leave your height, age & gender the same, the People's Choice changes too.

So don't judge by the people's choice weight because you will most likely never be able to achieve it. People's Choice for me said 175, so I pretended that I already achieved 175 and recalculated and all of a sudden People's Choice was 168, then 164, then 162. So look at the medical recommendations and choose a weight YOU are happy with.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I noticed the PC weight changed based on your weight
    For 5 '7 it said MY pc weight was 129?

Kim
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My goal was the peoples choice and in the middle of the medical... I guess I'm shooting for a realistic weight! :bigsmile: I just hope I can get there.... :embarassed:
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Man... People' Choice is telling me I should weigh 99 lbs. Good luck with that.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    My people's choice is 126. Then the other was a range of 114-150????? That's a pretty big range. It was still fun. I love calculators, quizzes, etc:smile:
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    interesting peoples choice have me at 156lb as ideal weight but medical has it at 111-146 lbs what a difference im aiming for around the peoples choice then go from there if im happy ill stay if not ill go abit lower.
    that was intersting thanks
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've seen that site before. Not sure how I feel about it though, as the "People's Choice" is 28 pounds over my goal :noway: and the "Medical" ranges from 40 to 10 pounds under my goal! :noway:

I found the Met Life one more realistic for me right now, as it was based on frame size and sets my goal almost smack dab at what I have chosen as my personal goal. I'm 64 inches tall but have a very large frame for a woman (my wrist measures 7.5" around!!!!!!!), so I have to think about that when calculating my goal.

I'm really simply waiting to get any near my goal and then decide really. Heck, it's been 35 years since I've been close to a healthy weight, so who knows what I'll look like then! I'll just wait and adjust my goal accordingly as I get closer. Given my frame size, it's too difficult to judge right now.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I'm really simply waiting to get any near my goal and then decide really. Heck, it's been 35 years since I've been close to a healthy weight, so who knows what I'll look like then! I'll just wait and adjust my goal accordingly as I get closer. Given my frame size, it's too difficult to judge right now.

im in a similar boat as you in the sense that i am waiting till i get near it and see what i like as i had a breast reduction 10 yrs ago and so have no idea what im meant to look like or what shape i should be i cant wait its like finding a new me
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    :sad: AHHH!
    My People's choice is 142 - I can handle that!
    But my medical - and this made me SICK :sick: is............................ 97 - 128. *vomit*
    I realize I am a very short person, and obviously I shouldn't be very big otherwise, but UNDER A HUNDRED POUNDS? I need some reassurance here, guys. Should I take people's choice to heart, or medical? It said anything outside the medical range could have health risks. That would mean I have over around a hundred pounds to lose! AH! I don't know if I can do that!!!
    :heart: girl who is spazzing
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Medical- 118-155
    People's Choice- 152

Hm.... My goal is 150 :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    :sad: AHHH!
    My People's choice is 142 - I can handle that!
    But my medical - and this made me SICK :sick: is............................ 97 - 128. *vomit*
    I realize I am a very short person, and obviously I shouldn't be very big otherwise, but UNDER A HUNDRED POUNDS? I need some reassurance here, guys. Should I take people's choice to heart, or medical? It said anything outside the medical range could have health risks. That would mean I have over around a hundred pounds to lose! AH! I don't know if I can do that!!!
    :heart: girl who is spazzing

Wait until you get close and then see and also check with your own doctor to see what they think. It was my doctor who said that I must be sure to take my frame into account--unless I want to look like heroic chic! :sick:
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    People's Choice: 127
    Medical Rec: 125-164

Don't really have a goal. It used to be 118, but MFPers made me realize my goal was pretty silly. :)