Why so many calories in an apple?!

Options
I was planning on snacking on one of the apples I just bought tomorrow, and curious as to how many calories it would be, I looked it up. My apples apparently are considered "large" instead of "medium" because each is about 7.5 ounces. Calories in one large apple with skin? 110. That seems totally ridiculous to me. Aren't fruits supposed to be low in calories? And... how come when I buy prepackaged apple slices, it's only 70 calories for 14 slices?...which is much, much more than a single apple.

So, is that a wrong calorie estimate? What do you enter in your food diary for an apple?

Replies

• IrinaPA
    Options
    Because it is sweet.
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!!
  • rckola911
    rckola911 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    its funny because at mcdonalds u can get apple dippers the pouch and its 35 calories. however they are sliced and skinless. U need to look up apples with no skin in the database . That will set u st8 friend. its supposed to be like 50 calories a full apple skinless.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    All fruits are high in natural sugars, but you have to understand that the sugar is process differently in the body that processed sugars which goes straight to the blood stream. Also, the nice thing about an apple is, you do not get all the sugar because of all the cellulose that an apple contains. The human body cannot process cellulose so you don't get everything an apple offers you.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    i think that most MEDIUM apples are around 80 calories, so i'd be willing to bet that your slices come from a med apple! as far as why they are so high...i think its the amount of sugar in them! and even though they are good for you, the calories in the sugar add up quickly! i think a banana is 110, pear is 110, orange is 75, 1 cup of grapes is 90 and so forth... the lower fruits are citrus and berries!! hope this helped :)

plus the skin of a fruit is the part that is best for you!!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    110 is really high? Considering that apples make for a very filling and healthy snack, thats not all that high..
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    They have naturally occuring sugar that's why they are high in calories..but they are not empty or unhealthy calories. Did you know as well that if you eat lots of fruit ..because of the natually occuring sugar ...you can get cavities as well?
    Don't worry too much about the calories in fruit and vegetables...a 100 calories apple is WAY healthier and better for you than that pouch of 100 calories Thinsations...
    So eat'em up :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    All healthy foods should be eaten in proper portions and in moderation. A good rule of thumb for fruits is that they should not be larger than your fist (except bananas, obviously....which should not be larger than 4 - 5 inches). Anything more is a larger portion than you need. So try to stick with medium apples, but don't stop eating them! They are loaded with nutrients! The skin also has a lot of nutrients, so I wouldn't skin them unless you just don't like the skin. If you have any of the large apples left but you don't want to eat one whole because of the calories be sure to coat the slices you have left lemon juice as the acid will delay the enzymatic action that causes them to turn brown.

Enjoy fruits as they have lots of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. You should have 2 - 3 fruits per day. Just remember to watch the portion sizes or they may be more calories than you intended. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One cup of unsweetened apple sauce is 100 calories, so it makes sense that a large apple is 110. It's probably about a cup's worth of fruit.

But that's a very healthy and good snack. Quality of food is important.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating any apple! It is good for you.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating any apple! It is good for you.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i think that most MEDIUM apples are around 80 calories, so i'd be willing to bet that your slices come from a med apple! as far as why they are so high...i think its the amount of sugar in them! and even though they are good for you, the calories in the sugar add up quickly! i think a banana is 110, pear is 110, orange is 75, 1 cup of grapes is 90 and so forth... the lower fruits are citrus and berries!! hope this helped :)

plus the skin of a fruit is the part that is best for you!!

well said. and compared to a bagel or crackers, they are lower in calories, not processed, full of vitamins and have fiber. you can't beat fruit. if you want a low calorie snack, eat 20 raw carrots, half of a cucumber, raw red or green peppers, steamed broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries. not what we grew up on as snack foods, but very good for you and part of a healthy lifestyle.
  • MadiCole
    Options
    Also keep in mind that apples are a pretty good source of fiber (especially the skin), so your body actually burns off some of those calories by digesting it.
  • sadiesmom
    Options
    when I select a medium McIntosh Apple, it comes up 154 calories.
  • dhtheriault
    Options
    You don't eat the core of the apple. Cut off and weigh the portion you are going to eat, and report that weight. Alternatively, weigh the apple, eat it, and then weigh the core and subtract.
  • lkwilkey
    Options
    also alot of the fruit depends especially apples depend on the brand a medium gala apple is only 50 calories so pay attention to brands as well when selecting you fruit....very good for you though...
  • sandraptor
    Options
    I don't think any of us are on this forum because we ate to many apples. LOL
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    I don't think any of us are on this forum because we ate to many apples. LOL
    That's soo funny!!..thanks for making me laugh at the end of the day :)
  • i know this was awhile back idk if u r still looking for the answer but i figure this will help some people that come along and read this as i did. you dont need to worry about apples apples are one of the few negative calorie foods. There are several fruits and vegetables that occur in nature that while they have calories when consumed, actually result in negative calories to the body after digested. It is because these foods cause the body to extend more calories to digest them than they have through their nutritional content that they become zero calorie foods. These foods can basically be consumed in whatever quantity you want without feeling guilty. They are healthy and provide nutritional content your body needs. Keep in mind, however, that these foods only have this negative calorie effect when consumed without extras added to them like butter, sugar or dips.

Negative Calorie Foods
    Asparagus,Apple,Beet,Cranberries,Brocc...
    Carrot,Mango,Cauliflower,Orange,Celery... peppers, Raspberries,Cucumber,Strawberries,Dandel... beans,Lettuce,Onion,Papaya,Radishes,Spin...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the core of the apple. Cut off and weigh the portion you are going to eat, and report that weight. Alternatively, weigh the apple, eat it, and then weigh the core and subtract.
    I eat the core.