Over my cals....Again!

Options
Hi all,
Just venting some mild frustration. It seems that more dAys than not, I am 1-300cals over my target cals. I generally eat all exercise cals. I am set at 1200 cals (I think this is the min that mfp will recommend). I feel like I eat pretty "clean", and I am happy with my 14 lb loss in 9 weeks. I feel like I read many posts saying they have difficulty eating all of their cals and many who don't eat their exercise cals, or at least not all of them. Is it just me, or are there others that seem to routinely overshoot the goal cals? I love mfp, and it is working, but I am envious of those who are always manage to stay under their target cals for the day.

Replies

• Jerri_Thompson
    Options
    Hello! Good job on the loss! Yeah I always stay beneath my calories but it always tells me its too low but I am so scared to go over 25 g fat each day! I have lost 14lbs in 5 weeks. I dont feel starved but when I see I have 1300 calories left, I am tempted to eat something just because it says I can...but I dont. I am having too low calorie days and its not good. You will burn muscle instead of fat. I have to figure out a way to have more calories and stay low on fat...keep up the good work!
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If your Goal is set to lose 2lb a week... maybe you should consider changing it to 1lb a week. It might take longer but you may find its easier in general to do.

Also remember that there is a deficit inbuilt to MFP cals anyway... so you might be eating more than MFP says but your probably still not eating what your body uses in a day. =)

Also as MFP tends to overestimate your Exercise calories I recommend to only eat 50-75% of them.

Listen to your body. :drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You can fix this! Add more exercise! That way you are earning those calories, and you won't feel like you're constantly going over.

30 minutes walk with dog: 150 cals. You can do it!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great, with 14 pounds lost in 9 weeks. There are at least a few people out there who're jealous of your success. We are all different, so don't even bother worrying about what others are doing or saying. You are on a roll, keep it going!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! You are right Elaine, I should focus on MY journey. Congrats to you on 73 lbs...amazing!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you exactly what it is it's what your eating....You have too many carbs in your diet if you add more protein less carbs and less fat you'll see a HUGE difference...you can have carbs but make sure there good carbs ok...I don't eat red meat at all no fried foods and I don't use salt...I looked at what you ate yesterday and at night for dinner you had a bagel which is not good to eat later in the day...After 6pm any carbs you eat can convert to fat because your not burning them...So try changing what you eat and see what happens ok..
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Mine was at 1200 at one point. I was under, but had a very hard time choosing snacks and meals. I ended up uping my calorie intake to 1340, but right now it's set at 1450. I am always under by at least 100 though. I still lose weight. 1200 is minimum you should give your body, but there is no harm in uping it another 100. I am 5'1, very short and weigh 121 pounds so even me being this short it was fine.

Also I am currently doing Turbo Fire and the calculations in the booklet says I should be eating 1500-something a day after a deficit of 600 calories PLUS my workouts. I trust the book more than this site honestly. If that's the program's calculations then I go with it more. Doesn't mean I eat that many calories a day because I don't. I decided to not go under 1340 and not to go over 1500. I am always in the 1300's.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hi,

I too am constantly over my allowed calories. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but very seldom under.
    I stopped worrying over the past few weeks, as I still lost weight that way.

I only watch the 5 weeks' ticker. If it says a number which is above what I weigh now, I start worrying, as that's that wrong way ;-)

Other than that, like one poster said: up your exercise, this enables you to have more calories to use :-)

MM